Rat breeding for cats.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
I have already posted a thread on rats but on this thread I want to talk about the breeding setup. So currently all I have is a old rabbit cage (that in my opinion is way to small for rabbit) that I put in a tree so that my dogs cannot reach it. My plan is to have a colony setup (with all my animals) in that cage and then every once in a while I would take a few rats and feed them to my cats

do you guys think I should make multiple cages and keep three rats in each or one cage with a lot of rats. Here is one thing that probably won’t happen and that is building one of those rat racks. I don’t think I will be able to convince my mother to build one so anything that is easy to make will be appreciated.

also is there a way to tell the rats apart other then a collar?

I don't think you should fool around with wild rats. It would be safer just to feed your cats with baby rabbits.

your talking about dead baby rabbits? I have tried and the cats refused. I guess the cats will have to stick with fish.

Would your cat even eat captured rats? Mine won't touch something if they didn't hunt it themselves.
If you have access to some nail polish, not red, that is a good way to mark small animals. I've put dots between the ears so they cant lick/chew it off.

How on earth am I going to get fancy mice in a place where almost no one wants to even touch a rat or a mouse? Unless you can ship mice but I don’t think I would ever be able to convince my mother to ship mice. She probably thinks that breeding them is unnecessary.

It seems to me that the rats and mice do a fine job of breeding themselves, and cats are equipped to catch them... Maybe you just want to trap some extras?

If there aren't wild mice and rats on the island, I definitly wouldn't bring some there. You'll never get rid of them again and they can wreak havoc. When breeding in captivity it's just a question of time when some escape, not "if".
If there are those critters on the island anyway, cats can cach them themself if they want, that's what they evolved for and it's their job, but mayby fish is more tasty :D. I wouldn't bring new species anyway. Catching wild ones quite likely is the best option, no matter if you or the cats do it.

there are rats on the island I live on and I will try to catch them with rice rather than coconut or banana this time.

I will keep you guys updated.

What do you mean
I just meant most of us keep a barn cat to eat the pest rats that show up on their own. Actively breeding them seems like it would defeat the purpose. But if you can trap them you can feed them to the cats... Our rats like peanut butter or richer meatier things, especially in the cold months. Bait that the cats also like, sadly, so you have to be sure the cats can't get trapped by accident

Guinea pigs are an alternative meat, none of the aversions to rats, less disease burdened species. And maybe feed the cat less so it works for a living? Once they get the taste of fresh meat, theyll ignore food in their dish i find.

Back