Rat bites. Help. A little graphic.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosima

Reaction score
One of my baby rabbits got bitten by a rat (or attest I think so). what should I do?

Attachments

• ECF8B538-5D95-4F3A-BC99-CB724B52C36A.jpeg
    ECF8B538-5D95-4F3A-BC99-CB724B52C36A.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 2E3F4174-92A2-4D70-8DD3-8A96E5AF4429.jpeg
    2E3F4174-92A2-4D70-8DD3-8A96E5AF4429.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 44B44183-308A-4B9E-8439-0D522F4CE9A3.jpeg
    44B44183-308A-4B9E-8439-0D522F4CE9A3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Cosima, the bite will likely heal, but only if you can keep the rats away from it. I once had a gander that tore a toenail. The damage was minor, but it just got worse and worse. Finally I realized that the rats were returning every night to worry the wound. I immediately started putting the gander into a rat-proofed crate at nights. Then the sore began to heal properly.

It's up to you to protect this baby from further harm. Because the rats will return and literally eat the rabbit alive, little by little.

The bite looks clean so I think I will leave it alone.
Cosima, the bite will likely heal, but only if you can keep the rats away from it. I once had a gander that tore a toenail. The damage was minor, but it just got worse and worse. Finally I realized that the rats were returning every night to worry the wound. I immediately started putting the gander into a rat-proofed crate at nights. Then the sore began to heal properly.

It's up to you to protect this baby from further harm. Because the rats will return and literally eat the rabbit alive, little by little.
I have never had problems with rats till now so hopefully it’s a one time thing.

Above looks like great advice! I'd like to ad to keep bugs (like fries) away from it (larvae in the wound).

I implore you to please make your cages rat proof. A stitch in time saves nine

Above looks like great advice! I'd like to ad to keep bugs (like fries) away from it (larvae in the wound).

Ah yes
My favorite kind of bug
Fries
(I think you mean flies lol)

How do i make my cages rat proof. luckily theres no flys around my rabbits.
Ah yes
My favorite kind of bug
Fries
(I think you mean flies lol)
lol

You can try covering the cage with hardware cloth or a similar wire cloth with openings too small to permit a rat through. I know from experience how voracious rats are as we recently had two six week old chicks eaten alive... I was so horrified that I threw a new coop together that day and haven’t had any problems since. Once they taste blood they will be back. 100%.

I’m so sorry your rabbit is being preyed upon. I would get to the hardware store pronto. Good luck 🍀

Latest posts

Back