Raising Flemish for size is it better to wait to do first breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronzx

Reaction score
I have wanted a 20lb+ rabbit for over 30 years but never actively perused it
Just picked up 2 girls that may have the genetics to hit 20lb but haven't found anything about breeding for largest size if it is better to breed them early at 6 months or wait until they are over a year old (my thought is it would be better to wait)
Wanted to do a 30' x 50' colony set up but now thinking it would be better to fence off part of it for the males

Definitely wait longer than 6 months. 8 months is where I aim for their first breeding. If you wait too long (a year) they do seem to have a harder time getting pregnant.

We inherited a pair of flemish giants and the female had been living in a colony with the male, but kept from breeding until she was good and ready, so sometimes the does know when they are ready better than we do.
That was our original plan. Just put them in the colony and let nature take over.
But I am planning on getting another male from larger genetics and controlling there breeding now

Latest posts

Back