Rabbits still feeding from there mother 3 months on

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlbinoGiant

Reaction score
Is it normal for rabbits to still be feeding from there mother after 3 months?

I have got 2 babies still with there mother the rest were sold on after 8 weeks and I kept back 2 babies still with there mother and every night they start to chase her about until she gives in and the two baby rabbits then flip themselves over and start feeding from her. They are over 3 months old now and still drinking milk from there mom?
Is this normal or does this indicate that something might not be quite right?

I had one lone kit left with her mama, still nursing and she was as big as her mom. Some does will let them nurse as long as they are with them.

Its remarkable that the mama bunny can still produce milk. The only thing I was worried about is there being an underlying health issue so if its normal then I'm happy.

Is it normal for rabbits to still be feeding from there mother after 3 months?

I have got 2 babies still with there mother the rest were sold on after 8 weeks and I kept back 2 babies still with there mother and every night they start to chase her about until she gives in and the two baby rabbits then flip themselves over and start feeding from her. They are over 3 months old now and still drinking milk from there mom?
Is this normal or does this indicate that something might not be quite right?
In the wild, this would never be the case. Rabbits wean their kits at about 4 weeks in the wild. If your mom is being chased until she gives in, trust me when I tell you that if she we free to make the choice, she would choose to wean and would have done so 2 months ago. For her sake, consider separating those younger rabbits from her.

yesterday my kits were 3 weeks old. mama may feed them once a day but i never see it. they are scampering around now and she does not allow them to nurse. i can tell by feeling that she must be feeding them sometime during the day or night but I never see it. she is very happy when I take her out for exercise and grass. one more week and I will be evaluating if it's time for them to go to the nursery. your doe still nursing i would say is highly irregular.

Keeping the kits with mom for 8 weeks helps develop their long term gut health, but 3 months it is best to give mom a chance to dry up and recoop! I've left one with mom up to 11-12 weeks but after that it becomes silly to see, lol.

Latest posts

Back