Rabbits genitals swollen

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spun4U

Reaction score
My 3yr. Old non altered French angora bucks genitals are swollen a lot. He has not been injured or had any breeding activity. He is eating and drinking urinating and looping fine. He actually seams to drink more than the other rabbits. Has anyones rabbits had this problem? Or any ideas what it could be. Going to get real cranberry juice in morning and mix with his water in case its a UTI. While I look for a vet that cares for rabbits out here.

It sounds like a sheath infection. If the swelling is severe then antibiotics are needed.

As he is an angora, he could also have hair stuck 'in there' or even wrapped around and cutting off circulation. I would flip him over and gently try and clean the area up with warm water, don't use any chemicals or cleaners until you know what your dealing with.

I agree with Dood...try to gently clean the area and make sure there is no hair restricting anything. If you don't find anything like that, it is likely an infection that will require antibiotics.

Thank you both very much . It's odd because other than the irritation and swelling he does not act sick. He's eating and drinking normally and still runs around and gets into everything in search of any cord to chew on in his travels. Plays with his pine cone and golf ball. I did notice something that may be the cause and I am almost hoping I am wrong because this one is totally my error! I made caspers cage I wanted something large for him without spending a fortune. But today I noticed that the space I alloted between cage and tray was inadequate and when he layed in the center of his cage the sag was enough for it yto touch the urine soaked newspaper. I clean his cage every third day at the longest. My thought is urine scald. I am new to rabbits and before I go poking around on him I want to male sure I am informed. When I check his penis for hair on his penis does a rabbits penis slide out similiar to a dog or uncircumsized human?

Thank you all for your help.

Press gently on his belly in front of the penis and it should pop right out.

I'm having a very similar problem. Did you ever figure out what happened to your rabbit?

Back