Rabbits castrating each other

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbittalker

Reaction score
I raise meat rabbits and 2 batches ago I found injuries on 3 of the rabbits (all around 2 months old, as well!). It seems they had tried to castrate each other! it was quite a sight, but not lots of blood actually. But open holes in places there shouldn't be holes. Has anyone else experienced that with their batches? I just did another batch and these ones had more space and I didn't see that happen, but when I started to notice squabbles (because I was trying to be more attentive) I had quarantine cages to separate them so I think I caught it and prevented it.

Anyone else?

at two months mine aren't fighting yet. I might have the odd hormonally active kit but that's usually a one off not normal. Depending on where the holes are... is it the kits fighting or a predator grabbing? Coons, possums, and rats can make holes in bunnies pretty quick.

Had something like that happen only once in 9 years of breeding, one batch of bucklings went berserk at about 15 weeks, came home from work and had to euthanize 3 right away. No pretty sight, crudly castrated and feet tangled in intestines.

No idea what triggered it, or why, or wtf. I keep them up to 5-6 months because I feed mostly forage, never had that happen before or after. Can happen, I guess. Bad luck.

Not at 2 months though, no way, then I would rather look for predators that can reach in there.

I've had it happen a few times with grow outs, it seems to be more common with spring and summer grow outs, never had it in autumn or winter grow outs.

Always look under the cages when feeding and spot any tufts of fur. A sure sign that fighting is happening, despite all looking well when you check on them.

Any fur, split up into smaller batches.

I took six 13 week olds to a show (4 does, 2 bucks). They traveled together as they were from the same litter. They were separated into show cages for a day and when I tried to put them back into the traveling cage the one buck attacked the other one. This is the only time I've had fighting in any of my litters - most reach fryer weight by 10 weeks and it's normally the end for them. I have noticed my bucks can drop as early as 12 weeks. My does are not receptive until about 17 weeks and by then everyone is well separated! It always surprising that such a normally docile animal can be so ferocious.

Back