Rabbits barns: Indoor vs. Outdoor?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of the great advice. I think I've settled on something outdoors and similar to this:

rabbitry08.jpg

Also, since we get a lot of rain around here (although not so much this year...), how bad is it for them to get wet? Not drenched wet, but a bit? I figured I could put some tarps that go down a half way on the outside of the lattice, but I won't necessarily always be around to put it down when it does rain.

Thanks again everyone!!

Wet in winter is very bad, even a little bit. Rabbits really don't like wet, though in the heat it can help them. If you are thinking of winter rain...no, a little wet IS likely to be a problem, especially if you have kits. Especially if "won't necessarily always be around to put it down when it does rain" means an 8 hour work day....

I agree with Eco. If I were going to proceed with that kind of setup, I'd likely use plywood on the upper 2/3rds of the sidewalls and screen wire backed up by either stronger-gauge wire or hardware cloth on the bottom 1/3rd, while incorporating fans at the top of the ceiling and attic, and for 4 reasons:

1-The plywood will provide much needed relief (shade) during warm and hot months, and you can always put hinges at the top of each panel to add a little seasonal versatility to it.

2-The lower sections will allow the freeflow of air along the ground and thru the rabbit house, while also allowing you the leeway to winterize as needed. In the summer months, you won't be as likely to have mosquitoes and other pests setting up inside the barn.

3-Such a setup would also allow you to keep your rabbits reasonably dry

4-The ceiling vent fans would keep the warmer air at the ceiling area from becoming stagnant and overheating the interior of the barn, while keeping it cooler by circulating the air

If it is winter rain that is the concern, could you not put tarps or plastic sheeting on the inside of the lattice (where it would not show) to protect the rabbits during the rainy season and then roll it up it when the weather gets hot? If you left the part below the cages open, they would get plenty of air but still stay dry.

quintex":1nznmcea said:
Thanks for all of the great advice. I think I've settled on something outdoors and similar to this:

rabbitry08.jpg

Also, since we get a lot of rain around here (although not so much this year...), how bad is it for them to get wet? Not drenched wet, but a bit? I figured I could put some tarps that go down a half way on the outside of the lattice, but I won't necessarily always be around to put it down when it does rain.

Thanks again everyone!!

You will want tarps or some kind of plywood panels to protect them from the sun and inclement weather. I find that even in mine where I have more solid walls than lattice, I have to put something on the top of the cages closest to the windows to block the sun. They get really hot, really fast in the direct sunlight. Otherwise, that looks great!

That bubble foil insulation that comes in big rolls is great in a rabbitry. It can be hung up to block rain, wind and sun and because it is reflective it works really well to protect the rabbits from heat. We use it a lot and always have some older pieces around that can be pressed into emergency service.

Latest posts

Back