Rabbits and rabies shots

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
There's no such thing as routine rabies shots for domestic rabbits, right? (I'm looking at a generic pet agreement for leasing a house.)

Thanks, ladysown. I was pretty sure that was correct, but wanted to confirm it before I put that in the lease. (One of the clauses is that all pets on the property will have their rabies shots kept current.)

Might be better to phrase it as "all dogs and cats" rather than "all pets". After all, no one gives rabies shots to hamsters, gerbils or guinea pigs, do they? And not all pets are mammals. What about birds, reptiles and amphibians?

MaggieJ":3ebvbe8s said:
Might be better to phrase it as "all dogs and cats" rather than "all pets". After all, no one gives rabies shots to hamsters, gerbils or guinea pigs, do they? And not all pets are mammals. What about birds, reptiles and amphibians?
I agree with you, but this is a standard boilerplate written by the Texas Association of Realtors. The clause simply reads:

C. PET RULES: Tenant must
(3) keep the rabies shots of any pet current.

They probably should add the phrase "as applicable" to the clause, but since I'm the prospective tenant, all I can do is point out that rabbits don't get rabies shots.

Frosted Rabbits":1le82m5l said:
You can also add, that in the US, there are NO vaccines available for rabbits.
Thanks, Terry! I passed that on to our agent, and she forwarded it to the leasing agent.

The original rabies vaccine was made out of the spinal cords of rabbits, or so said my biology textbook.

Latest posts

Back