Rabbit with Creamy Mustard Sauce

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophonax

Reaction score
Hey all, I thought I'd make my first contribution to the recipe forum with a firm favourite in our house, rabbit with creamy mustard sauce.

Ingredients
4 back rabbit legs (or one whole rabbit in pieces, your choice)
One large onion roughly chopped
2-3 garlic cloves
200g (7 ounces) of bacon lardons
unsalted butter
white wine or sweet cider
250ml (1 cup) of chicken stock (or rabbit stock if you've got it!)
300ml (cup and a bit?) of double cream / heavy cream
Salt
Pepper
Mustard (great with Dijon but use whatever mustard you like)

Cooking instructions
  • Preheat your oven to 150c / 300f
  • Add a nob of butter into a large frying pan with a little oil to stop the butter from burning. Use a pan with tall sides and a lid that can be put in the oven. Add bacon lardons, fry until crispy and then remove and reserve the bacon.
  • Season rabbit legs with salt and pepper and put them in the same pan as you cooked the bacon. Cook for 3-5 minutes per side until you have a nice golden colour on both sides.
  • add chopped onion and cook until translucent then add your bacon back to the pan.
  • Add around a cup of white wine, or sweet cider to the pan, along with the chicken stock. Crush your garlic into the pan, then add your cream, and around 2-3 teaspoons of mustard, then stir well.
  • Put the lid on your pan, then it needs to go into the preheated oven for at least an hour depending on the age of your rabbit. An older rabbit you are probably looking at 2.5 hours in the oven. What you're looking for is for the leg meat to just be falling off the bone, that's how you know it's done.
  • Once your rabbit is cooked to your satisfaction, remove it from the oven and take the rabbit from the sauce and reserve. Put the sauce back on the stovetop and reduce it to the level you want it. Personally, I reduce it until it coats the back of a spoon. While it's reducing, strip the meat from the bones.
  • Once your sauce is at your desired thickness, add your rabbit meat back in for a few minutes to warm through, then serve.
This goes great with mashed potato but it's also fabulous just on its own. It's really rich and decadent, so enjoy!

Last edited:
OOOhhh... I like it. My favorite rabbit recipe is also mustard based. It's a french recipe that uses herbs de Provence and course ground mustard. Since I am dairy free, I've replaced the plain yogurt with dairy-free yogurt or sour cream and regular butter with plant-based butter. Otherwise, it's really similar to your recipe. We usually put it on top of rice or boiled potato chunks, but I like the idea of using mashed potatoes.

This sounds perfect for my wedding anniversary and our first grown culled and eaten rabbit! Ty

OOOhhh... I like it. My favorite rabbit recipe is also mustard based. It's a french recipe that uses herbs de Provence and course ground mustard. Since I am dairy free, I've replaced the plain yogurt with dairy-free yogurt or sour cream and regular butter with plant-based butter. Otherwise, it's really similar to your recipe. We usually put it on top of rice or boiled potato chunks, but I like the idea of using mashed potatoes.
please post your recipe, it sounds good :)

Back