Rabbit STDs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronManRunner

Reaction score
I can't find any useful information searching through here or on google. At the risk of sounding ridiculous, how does one know if a rabbit has an STD? What rabbit STDs are there? And quite possibly the stupidest but most pressing question, are they transferable to humans (in a non-sexual way)?

So once a rabbit has it, there is no cure, correct? What has everyone done in the past when they've noticed their rabits have STDs? Can they be fed to dogs, or has anyone tried....eating them?

I guess the only real way to tell beforehand is to quaruntine all new rabbits, right?

Syphilisu is a spirochete bacteria, and can respond to antiobiotic treatment!

I read up a lot on rabbits before buying them, learned to 'inspect' the gentialia, eyes, ears, nose, and gums before buying.

I also learned that 'good hygeine' before and after breeding helps - warm soapy washrag and water.

Are you saying to CLEAN the rabbits' undersides before and after breeding them?

Treatable is how they are saying, as in the human terminology as well, not curable, correct? Or once you treat the rabbit, it goes away and never comes back?

Treatment of any disease results in the expected outcome. Some treatments only alleviate symptoms, others 'cure' the disease. Treating a curable disease improperly will result in the development of a resistant strain of the same disease. Many STD s will come back-- if you have not ensured proper treatment and quarantine of new animals-- face it, many military members get treated over and over again-- the 'girl on every port' syndrome!!!( my brother told me his experiences with that!)

I've never heard of cleaning the rabbits before or after breeding. Harmless, I suppose, but not necessary and nothing to do with STDs.

Rabbit syphilis is completely treatable with proper antibiotics.

Completely treatable means a cure. The rabbit could be infected after that, but it would be a totally separate incident requiring exposure to another rabbit with vent disease. The antibiotics stop the disease, but cannot provide immunity to infection in the future.

Note that it also says proper antibiotics. In humans, syphilis was treated with penicillin. After a long time, this became less effective because the bacteria causing the disease became resistant, probably as a result of not following through on a complete treatment. With the use of antibiotics comes the responsibility to use them correctly.

MaggieJ":123azh5d said:
The most common rabbit STD is rabbit syphilis, commonly called vent disease.
Ahh. I'd heard of vent disease, but didn't realize it was classified as an STD.

IronManRunner":2m7kjibq said:
So, what is the proper treatment to cure rabbits of vent disease?

Please Go to my Website:
crescentvalley.webs.com
click on "Diseases and treatments"
you will find your answer there.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Vent disease is highly contagious and can be spread either by direct contact, during breeding, and passed to offsprings to kindling. Any rabbit showing signs of vent disease should be removed from your breeding program until they have been properly medicated. Quarantining the rabbit from the herd for a short time should also be practiced.

Topical application of ointments may relieve the area of its soreness but will not rid the rabbit of this disease. Vent disease can be effectively treated using Pen BP-48 which is a combination of Procaine Penicillin G and Penicillin G Benzathine. We successfully treated by giving a dosage of 20,000 IU per pound of body weight. As with any medication, care should be taken to read the label so you understand how much medication you are administering to the rabbit. The bottle of Pen BP-48 that we purchase contains 300,000 IU per mL. So a 4 pound rabbit would receive 2.5/10 of a mL. This should be administered once a week for three straight weeks. The medication is to be given subcutaneously (SQ). A 25 gauge needle should be small enough for the rabbit, yet large enough for this somewhat thicker medication.

As with any antibiotic care should be taken to watch your rabbit for any signs of diarrhea. Hay should be free fed during the treatment to aid the rabbits digestive system and prevent diarrhea. You may also consider removing pellets from the diet for the first couple of days after treatment.

More information can be found here: http://www.threelittleladiesrabbitry.co ... -syphilis/

additional resources:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php ... orum_id=10
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-he ... treatment/
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... 171321.htm

Latest posts

Back