Rabbit Shed Makeover **Pic Heavy*

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneAcreFarm

Reaction score
We decided to re-do the shed to make some changes in how it is set up. Here is what it looked like before...
IMG00030-20110331-1930.jpg
We found the corrugated roofing hard to clean and it wasn't slanted enough. Also the walls were primed particle board on the inside and I did not want to hose them down for fear they would rot. So we pulled it all out and started over.
We put up sheets of plastic like they have on restaurant walls to make it easier to hose it all down...
new shed wall left side.jpg
new shed walls2.jpg
new shed walls.jpg
new shed walls with cage2.jpg
Then we hung the cages and started putting together the new slant boards. We built a frame out of PVC...
pvc frame for slant board.jpg
and used the same sheets of plastic on the frame as on the walls.
new slant board left side.jpg
new slant board right side.jpg
We screwed the plastic to the PVC frame, leaving some overlap at the ends, and then drilled holes for an eye hook at five spots along the top of the frame. We attached this to the back side of the cages with s-hooks.
new slant board hook.jpg
We reused the gutters, but we placed them on more of an angle to allow for better drainage.
new slant board full.jpg
new shed setup left side.jpg
So far we have one side done and will finish the other side this week. This will be our "maternity ward", as it is closer to the house and out of the elements. So far, it is working well.

Oh, that's neat! We're about to do a similar re-do in our rabbitry. What's the plastic you used? I guess at that angle, it wouldn't need to be swept... if it were at the angle you started with, could you sweep that material?

Wow! Excellent job- and it looked good before. I have corrugated roofing as dropping boards too, and when I saw yours I thought "the bunnie-berries MUST roll down". Obviously not, eh? Hopefully they will now! How do you clean out the gutters? It looks to me like they would quickly fill with hay and bb's... might I suggest finding a large diameter plastic pipe (say 10"-12") and cutting it in half lengthwise? Then you would have a long run, unobstructed by any seams or stabilizing arms. A squeegee on a long stick would probably work great as a dropping board scraper!

All in all, a very professional looking operation! Kudos to you!

Miss M":2ng4mugm said:
Oh, that's neat! We're about to do a similar re-do in our rabbitry. What's the plastic you used? I guess at that angle, it wouldn't need to be swept... if it were at the angle you started with, could you sweep that material?

I dont remember what it is called but they sell it at Home Depot. It is smooth on one side and textured on the other for adhesive. It is about as thick as a nickel. The berries DO mostly roll down, unless hay gets in the way. I just use a broom to pull all the hay, etc down. The berried drop into the gutter and the hay mostly falls on the floor.<br /><br />__________ Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:03 am __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":2ng4mugm said:
Wow! Excellent job- and it looked good before. I have corrugated roofing as dropping boards too, and when I saw yours I thought "the bunnie-berries MUST roll down". Obviously not, eh? Hopefully they will now! How do you clean out the gutters? It looks to me like they would quickly fill with hay and bb's... might I suggest finding a large diameter plastic pipe (say 10"-12") and cutting it in half lengthwise? Then you would have a long run, unobstructed by any seams or stabilizing arms. A squeegee on a long stick would probably work great as a dropping board scraper!

All in all, a very professional looking operation! Kudos to you!

I didn't have enough of an angle before, now it is better. I use a plastic putty scraper to push the solids down to the bucket. Yes, I have thought about large PVC cut in half...and will probably do that, as I don't like having those support arms in the way either. I just have to wait for my wallet to stop howling after this last go round! LOL Thanks for your kind compliments! Do you have pics of yours?

That looks fabulous, Shannon! You and hubby did a wonderful job!! :clap2: I so wanted to do a similar design to yours, but my hubby wasn't having it, we needed to compact our small space.

Can I ask, roughly how much did you pay per sheet for the plastic? That would work great around the bottom half of our walls.

fuzzy9":vqkxeuhv said:
That looks fabulous, Shannon! You and hubby did a wonderful job!! :clap2: I so wanted to do a similar design to yours, but my hubby wasn't having it, we needed to compact our small space.

Can I ask, roughly how much did you pay per sheet for the plastic? That would work great around the bottom half of our walls.

It is called "Poly-Wall Bright White" and it was $18.98 for a 4 x 8 sheet at Home Depot. It works much better than the 6mil plastic film we used to have. Although, it probably won't stay "white" long... lol

Wow Shannon, that is a phenomenal setup! The plastic sheets are a stroke of genius. I do have a newbie question for ya though. I can see how it collects in the gutter and the effluent runs into the collection bucket but how are the bunny berries removed?

ellistattoo":ba9tq6be said:
Wow Shannon, that is a phenomenal setup! The plastic sheets are a stroke of genius. I do have a newbie question for ya though. I can see how it collects in the gutter and the effluent runs into the collection bucket but how are the bunny berries removed?

Once a day, I use a plastic putty scraper to push the berries down to the bucket. Once a week, I wash the board down with a hose and watering extender.This usually pushes everything down to the bucket and then I take the bucket full of "bunny berry soup" :lol: and toss the whole thing on the compost pile. You could pour it directly on the soil you want to improve, as the urine is very dilute at that point.

[/quote]

Do you have pics of yours?[/quote]

Yes! I finally managed to post pictures in the Gallery in rabbit housing. I've no idea why, but the first picture I posted shows up last, and the last first. Go take a look! :)

Back