Rabbit questions for a newbie

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenMan0352

Reaction score
Good morning all! I am wanting to get into raising rabbits primarily for meat. I love rabbit meat and have been doing research. From what I’ve concluded there is no perfect breed for meat rabbits and that many people prefer a cross. I was wanting to purchase a few creme d'argent as well as some New Zealand whites. For me the description of these more are what I’m going for and I also wanted to crossbreed them at some point. I just have questions. First and foremost are these good meat rabbits? Or did I get bad information? <br /><br /> __________ Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:49 am __________ <br /><br /> Also I live in a small town in mid West Texas. I was hoping someone knew of someone near Denver city, Tx that sales either of the two mentioned breeds?

michaels4gardens":13kqmyvv said:
I like both breeds as meat rabbits, [make sure the ones you buy, actually look like meat rabbits]

Most definitely! Thanks for the response by the way. Now to find someone within a reasonable distance that I can meet.

Honestly, new zealand whites are as close as you'll come to a perfect meat rabbit. Most the good crosses are new zealand white crosses. Either way, you'll be selectively breeding for meat type, mothering skills, hardiness and growth rate. The best thing to do would be to find a breeder who considered those things during breeding; show meat pen rabbits usually make pretty good meat rabbits from my experience, with good type but also good growth rate (maximum age for showing a meat pen is 10 weeks. mine were about 5-5.5 lbs at 9.5 weeks when I would show them). Creme d'argents are usually pretty rare, and the ones out there that you find were usually bred more for show than mean. Champagne d'argents are a similar breed, but are slightly larger, hardier and tend to be more common of meat rabbits.

If you don't find "exactly" what you are looking for, -- I think-- you will not go wrong [for meat production] using Californian [or California white] , and New Zealand white. I like F1 crosses of the two for production does.

Or if you are totally new to raising rabbits, get some meat mutts to learn on. Any medium to large, cheap rabbits on Craigslist, a buck and a few does.

I LOVE slightly older breeders for starting out, the rabbits know the ropes and can teach YOU what you need to know.

Sellers will tell you all about the rabbits, litter sizes and mothering skills and if they don't, go somewhere else for your bunnies.

BIG CAGES with BIG DOORS, really, that will make your life so much easier and the rabbits so much more comfortable.

Breed your "starter" rabbits for a year or two and then go for a breed you want, learning on high priced purebreds gives a level of stress you seriously do not need. ;)

And last but not least, you have come to the right place for all about rabbits, the best forum ever!

If you don't find "exactly" what you are looking for, -- I think-- you will not go wrong [for meat production] using Californian [or California white] , and New Zealand white. I like F1 crosses of the two for production does.
do you have a product you use to keep the cali whites a bright white when their fur tends to yellow in the rear?

Honestly in Texas...you will want very much to buy rabbits acclimatized to the heat... particularly if you are just starting out. Realize that even with tons of research there is a learning curve with rabbits, so starting off with rabbits already used to the temperatures gives you a step up already. over time then you can add in the breeds you most desire to raise and work those genetics in.

To keep white rabbits white... keep their spaces clean, allow them the space to keep themselves clean, realize some bucks are just filthy, and cornstarch is your friend! :)

Honestly in Texas...you will want very much to buy rabbits acclimatized to the heat... particularly if you are just starting out. Realize that even with tons of research there is a learning curve with rabbits, so starting off with rabbits already used to the temperatures gives you a step up already. over time then you can add in the breeds you most desire to raise and work those genetics in.

To keep white rabbits white... keep their spaces clean, allow them the space to keep themselves clean, realize some bucks are just filthy, and cornstarch is your friend! :)
i keep their space VERY clean, they live on wire. My buck is clean and I have learned that you can use vinegar and water to whiten that pretty fur. Seems the cornstarch is for getting dirt out of fur. I'll use that tomorrow on my does back legs. I like a clean pretty rabbit as much as possible. I let them out to throw some binkys and dig so they do get a lilttle dirty. Rabbits are so much fun.

Back