Rabbit Pizza

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seashore

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
We've just had a delicious rabbit pizza for tea*, using the remaining half of a rabbit cooked on a charcoal BBQ yesterday... 😋 definitely making this again!!

Preheat oven to 200°C (395°F).
Prepare the toppings before putting the sauce on the bases.

Base
We used 2x 11" store-bought gluten free thin and crispy bases. Use your favourite homemade or bought pizza base.

Sauce
  • A good dollop of creme fraiche (alternative: use sour cream and lightly beat it / thin with a little milk until smooth and spoonable. Creme fraiche is heat stable in the oven but sour cream less so.)
  • 1-2 tsp basil pesto
Mix well and adjust pesto ratio to taste.
Spread on bases.

Toppings, in order from the base/sauce up:
  • Spinach (preferably home grown) - enough to cover most of the sauce
  • Cooked rabbit meat - pick it off the bones, rip it small. We used a bit under half a rabbit. Add more if you want!
  • Bacon, 2x middle rashers fried and chopped - or 4x streaky
  • Red onion, finely sliced
  • Approx 5 mushrooms (depending on size, ours were small) sliced
  • Red capsicum*, sliced
  • Goat feta, cut into small cubes and scattered
  • Cheese - mozzarella recommended, otherwise whatever you have in the fridge
There should be plenty of toppings piled up.
Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes or until the base is cooked to your liking. Slice and enjoy!!

The goat feta just went on because we had it in the fridge 😄 but it's a fantastic flavour match with rabbit meat and a pairing we'll be using elsewhere, maybe in a pasta next time...

*Translation from NZ terms: tea = light evening meal; capsicum = ... I'm not sure what this is called in other countries, possibly bell pepper or sweet pepper? Non-spicy vegetable in the pepper family available in many colours, anyway. Feel free to throw some chili slices on as well!

Last edited:
capsicum = ... I'm not sure what this is called in other countries, possibly bell pepper or sweet pepper?
You're looking for Red Bell Pepper. We have 2 broad categories of peppers, sweet and hot so they are also sweet peppers, but I'm pretty sure you're looking specifically for the red bell peppers.

Thank you!!
No problem, I listen to and watch lots of cooking shows, so I'm pretty good at translating food items back and forth. A few other odd ones are courgette are zucchini, and here we have Coriander, but we only call the seed coriander and the plant is cilantro, elsewhere the entire thing is referred to as coriander.

it's always great to know whereabouts people are from! What do you love about Virginia?
It's ok, I've never lived anywhere else. The mountains are pretty, the winters are cold and wet, not warm enough to be pleasant, but too warm to freeze and stay that way so tons of mud. Summer is hot, lots of bugs and humidity. Everything is set up for car travel with no decent public transit and things spaced far apart. I live 60+ miles from work so an hour long commute up and over mountains.

We've just had a delicious rabbit pizza for tea*, using the remaining half of a rabbit cooked on a charcoal BBQ yesterday... 😋 definitely making this again!!

Preheat oven to 200°C (395°F).
Prepare the toppings before putting the sauce on the bases.

Base
We used 2x 11" store-bought gluten free thin and crispy bases. Use your favourite homemade or bought pizza base.

Sauce
  • A good dollop of creme fraiche (alternative: use sour cream and lightly beat it / thin with a little milk until smooth and spoonable. Creme fraiche is heat stable in the oven but sour cream less so.)
  • 1-2 tsp basil pesto
Mix well and adjust pesto ratio to taste.
Spread on bases.

Toppings, in order from the base/sauce up:
  • Spinach (preferably home grown) - enough to cover most of the sauce
  • Cooked rabbit meat - pick it off the bones, rip it small. We used a bit under half a rabbit. Add more if you want!
  • Bacon, 2x middle rashers fried and chopped - or 4x streaky
  • Red onion, finely sliced
  • Approx 5 mushrooms (depending on size, ours were small) sliced
  • Red capsicum*, sliced
  • Goat feta, cut into small cubes and scattered
  • Cheese - mozzarella recommended, otherwise whatever you have in the fridge
There should be plenty of toppings piled up.
Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes or until the base is cooked to your liking. Slice and enjoy!!

The goat feta just went on because we had it in the fridge 😄 but it's a fantastic flavour match with rabbit meat and a pairing we'll be using elsewhere, maybe in a pasta next time...

*Translation from NZ terms: tea = light evening meal; capsicum = ... I'm not sure what this is called in other countries, possibly bell pepper or sweet pepper? Non-spicy vegetable in the pepper family available in many colours, anyway. Feel free to throw some chili slices on as well!

This recipe I will have to try! Thanks. 😀

Back