Rabbit Kidneys -- with the fat around it or not?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
When I butchered Saturday I kept the fat around the kidneys because I wasn't sure if it was a "good tasting" fat or not. The new diet I'm one encourages the use of beef tallow (the fat around beef kidneys) so I'm wondering if rabbit kidney-fat is usable?

I'll be going through the recipes here collecting all the liver and kidney recipes but if you have one you haven't posted...WHY NOT!?!? and Please do so NOW!! I'm suppose to eat organ meats at least once a week so I NEED RECIPES!!! :p :p

Naturally fed rabbits have just a bit of fat around the kidneys and I like to use it when I saute the rabbit giblets. I didn't used to like the fat much, but I think that was when I was feeding pellets. Either that, or I have acquired a taste for it.

There is usually not enough fat on the fryers to saute all the giblets, so I add some real butter too. Cut the liver into bite sized pieces and saute with the kidneys and hearts until just cooked through. Don't fry on too high a heat... It ruins the texture. Season with a bit of salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Awe, so once I get away from pellets completely/mostly then the fat will have a better taste... Good to know. I'm not sure whether what mine had would be considered "a lot" or "a little" fat. Mine have been on a diet of half pellets half sprouted grains over the winter. I hope to get them off pellets for the most part and onto more forage and sprouted grains.

Oh, and there was also a long, narrow "organ" that I am presuming is the spleen??? (around where the stomach was)...do folks eat that or not?

OOOhhhh...I found this on http://www.starchefs.com:

Chicago’s Chef Chris Pandel of The Bristol, who sources rabbit from Swan Creek Farm, poaches rabbit kidneys in butter and adds the morsels to a ragoût of livers, bacon, shallots, herbs, and sherry vinegar. You also can render the precious fat surrounding the kidneys; just finely grind the fat, slowly heat it, and strain it through a chinois. The rendered rabbit fat—just like lard—can be used in pastry dough and for frying.

I believe that long, narrow, dark organ is the spleen. I've never heard of anyone eating it. I stick to the liver, heart and kidneys, although I understand that lungs and brains can also be eaten.

Traditionally in Old World farmhouse cooking, it was preferred to use the fat of the same type of animal for making pastry to cook it in. So rabbit pie or pudding would have at least some rabbit fat used to make it. Lard for pork pies, suet for beef pudding, goose grease for goose pie etc. It was practical, of course, but to me it makes sense flavour-wise too. :)

Back