Rabbit ID without Tattooing?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
The Breeder I purchased my Silver Foxes from did not tattoo their ears. I also don't want to tattoo my buns ears. But, that leaves me wondering just how to identify the rabbits. The breeder used a sharpie to mark their ears but obviously that is temporary. Sooo...anyone have other systems/methods they use to track their rabbits?

Are you planning on showing them? If so, that means you'll have to permanently tattoo them in the left ear, and that does NOT include using a sharpie.

Over in Europe they have leg bands...but, yes, as SatinsRule said, if you want to show them, you'll have to tattoo them. Its relatively quick, doesn't stress them out, and really is almost necessary for good recordkeeping if you're breeding, showing, and selling.

To ID your Rabbit without requiring a Tattoo:
Just keep only one of each color and know
which color is which Rabbit. Other than that
a Tattoo becomes a necessity.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

If you are just breeding and not showing you can use labels for each cage to identify them. If you have several of the same gender in the same cage then you may have to get to know their appearance, personality, or go with using Sharpies.

I don't tattoo mine, I just have a few so can easily tell them apart.

It can get tricky...really fast, when one has several animals of the same color...(ie: NZW or All Black rabbits).. Also if several rabbits are taken out of their cage...at the same time... it is very easy to mix them up. ( ask me how i know This !!... grandkids...lol)

A tatoo is a quick and easy Permanent answer. :bunnyhop:

I'm not currently planning to show them (I'm raising primarily for meat) but one never knows about the future. Also, my bunnies are Silver Foxes so they do look alike. I am concerned about tattooing because it seems like it would be painful to the rabbits. But, I couldn't figure another way to mark them that wouldn't risk injury (leg bands or ear "rings" each have their risks of injury). I guess I was hoping for some other solution but there doesn't seem to be.

Tattooing sounds painful, but it really is quick and oftentimes the rabbits don't even fight it. You get the occasional one that gets upset, and sometimes they wiggle and are hard to hold, but its more uncomfortable and irritating to them then painful. Plus, it heals over very quickly.

Latest posts

Back