Rabbit hutches.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy

Reaction score
OK, I plan on getting some rabbits VERY soon. this means that I have to either buy or build some hutches. I can get cages with feeding chutes, dropping pans, and wter bottles for about $70 a cage, but that seems a bit high. Can you guys give me some tips on how to build or buy cheaper? IDC if it's terribly redneck in design, so long as it's effective.

If it matters, I plan on having them for meat. All other concerns, except health and well-being, are secondary.<br /><br />__________ Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 am __________<br /><br />Oh, and these are US dollars, if you're wondering.

we got our hutches we got for free, craigslist is good, you could also look on ebay,
just ask around, we had 1 hutch and someone learned we had a bunny so we got their hutch for free! (there rabbit died from too many pellets)

Use scrap wood for the three sides, dividers, frame and roof. Then buy new wire for the fronts and flooring. CL has loads of cheap to free wood.

I was able to pick up old metal shelving units and use them as frames for hutches. One hutch used to be an old chicken brooder. I've also have used old shipping crates and pallets, I was careful with breaking them down and then turned them into rabbit housing. It's been all trial and error, but mostly I've made alright housing on the cheap.

Have you checked to see if there are any shows coming up in your area? You can save a bundle on shipping if you pre-order your cages and have them delivered to a show. You might also get lucky and find used cages for sale there.

Cheaper yet would be to order cage wire and build them yourself, but that is a large initial investment if you buy uncut 100' rolls. If you plan on selling rabbits to others having extra cage wire on hand so that you can sell cages along with breeding stock is a convenience that many people would appreciate.

I recently purchased some used bird cages made out of heavy gauge aviary wire. I have been disassembling them and using the aviary wire as the floors. This allows me to build multiple hole units, which share dividers, thus lessening the amount of wire needed overall. The down side of multiple hole units is that you cannot remove an individual cage if you need to quarantine an animal.

I would highly recommend building all wire cages for ease of cleaning and optimal sanitation. Time is money, after all, and you will spend far less of it cleaning with an all wire cage.

If you can place the cages in an area that allows the droppings to fall directly to the ground there is no need for trays, and it will save you the time of dumping them.

You can periodically rake up the waste and add it directly to your garden. Some people rake the waste out only twice a year. If allowed to pile up, there is little to no ammonia odor... until you rake it out. :x It reeks, and the bottom layers will be very wet unless you have sandy soil with very good drainage.

I rake the waste out about once a month- more frequently in the summer- and sprinkle Agricultural lime and Diatomaceous earth on the dirt, then add a layer of pine shavings or pine pellets with more lime and D.E. In the fall and winter when our oak trees lose their leaves I will sometimes rake those up and use them instead.

These are going to be in a back bedroom that is currently unoccupied. It's got lino floors, but yuck. Trays will be necessary.

Thanks for the tips.

Also, I've heard of folks using wire dog crates - modifying to put a wire floor in above the tray. I don't know if you are near a petsmart but I was in one last night and they had chow-chow sized crates on sale for cheap 30 dollars I think. Some times I just type 'cage' in craigslist to see what pops up- Turkey transport cage is a nice size FWIW.

You will definitely need urine guards for inside, then.

You may be able to find cement mixing trays to use instead of metal trays. They should be cheaper and last longer, too.

All metal would certainly help keep the smell down inside. A little peat moss in the trays under the pee corners will help, too.<br /><br />__________ Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:18 pm __________<br /><br />Yes, I have a dog crate that I use as a rabbit cage... or a chicken cage... I used to have a wire floor in it above the pan, but I removed it to use with chickens. It currently has a rabbit and lots of shavings in it.

I got it on Amazon... it was on really serious discount.

After doing a lot of research and excellent advice from the folks here on RT, we went with new ones from Klubertanz. Including the shipping, water bottles and feeders, the cost for 18 x 30 x 36 cages was pretty close to that $70 mark...maybe $60. I consider it an investment, since we too are breeding for meat. We wanted a larger breed (settled on Silver Fox) so wanted to make sure the cages were fairly roomy, and of excellent quality. You can find them cheaper, I reckon, but if you're having to replace rusty/saggy floors and such all the time, IMO, in the end they can end up costing more.

Back