rabbit eating a reduced amount

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genghiskuhn

Reaction score
dear forum people:

I have a question about a new Angora, which has been newly ensconced in a spacious cage in the barn. Its sibling (also newly arrived) has been eating and pooping up a storm. This second rabbit has been eating and drinking only a little. It has been pooping small feces somewhat infrequently. It has also been peeing some. Stomach doesn't feel hard; can't see anything wrong with its teeth. Is this just the stress of the move? My initial thought is that I should just let it settle in for a few more days, minimizing time interacting with the rabbit, and that as long as it is eating SOME and pooping SOME it will be fine? Does this seem right? Any other ideas?

It could very well be from the stress of the move, but what you are describing is GI slowdown, which could easily progress into fatal GI stasis, or even an intestinal bacterial overgrowth if left untreated.

Get that little bun eating!! The best place to start is by asking the breeder everything they were fed before you received them, and offering anything that isn't currently part of their diet now. If the breeder has no suggestions, Hay, a little old fashioned oatmeal, or some rabbit safe greens (like plantains, a few dandelions, or rose family plants) can sometimes help. Grocery store herbs like parsley and cilantro are also good choices. I've had great luck with fennel in the past.

Baby food syringe feeding and baby gas drops got my buck outa GI so just keep food going in and it'd start moving.

I have also had good success, with feeding greens.
anything with lots of water, and the more fiber the better..
Fresh cornstalks also worked well for me..
In winter when greens were not available, I often fed winter squash..
If she is not used to eating greens,go easy, feed just a little at first,
- and avoid cabbage family plants..as they produce a lot of gas..

Back