rabbit dying because of mold in the food

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mary Ann's Rabbitry":6o7b446n said:
I have good news. She pulled through it ... I saw her eating pellets yesterday. Mind you it isnt very much but i think she will be ok.No more labour breathing. And the buck is fine too. Only lasted 2 days for him. I found another supplier for my food.

GREAT news! So thrilled they both are doing well and no others showing signs.

Karen

Oh my goodness, how very scary for you! I'm glad that it all seemed to work out, and that you have found a new food too!

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":2lvtg56d said:
I have good news. She pulled through it ... I saw her eating pellets yesterday. Mind you it isnt very much but i think she will be ok.No more labour breathing. And the buck is fine too. Only lasted 2 days for him. I found another supplier for my food.

So glad!!!

I am so happy you didnt lose any. It sucks that we can't trust feed companies to supply us with quality product these days.

Even if you make your own feed you have to be just as careful checking it when you put it up for storage and when you get it out to use. It's really no different. In fact it's a ton more work for quality control than a company doing half the work for you. Things happen to grains.

When i opened the bucket for my rabbit feeds, it had molds. I've only consumed half of it so i thought it was wasteful to throw the whole thing away. Anyway, i removed the moldy part and sun dried the remaining feeds for several hours. What do you say, can i still give those to my rabbits?

When i opened the bucket for my rabbit feeds, it had molds. I've only consumed half of it so i thought it was wasteful to throw the whole thing away. Anyway, i removed the moldy part and sun dried the remaining feeds for several hours. What do you say, can i still give those to my rabbits?
Please, never feed anything with mold to your rabbits. It could kill them.

No, I wouldn't. This is the wrong occasion to think economical. Mold can spread way farther than what is visible, and it is much, much more toxic to rabbits than to humans. Not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Considering the poor quality of feeds, is there any way to transition them to a mostly fresh diet during the summer months in your area? Maybe plant some mulberry trees and feed a lot of leaves? I think up to 40% of a rabbit's diet can be mulberry leaves without any decrease in weight gain or number of kits. Read that years ago in Rabbit Production Manual, I think it was. Planted some mulberry trees here and they grew quickly. It's reassuring to have them around in case something happens to the feed supply, there's mulberry for them to eat. Mulberry grows quickly, can be coppiced to grow shrubby and short and produces tasty berries. Eat them fresh or make jam. The new leaves are pretty good in people salad and you can also make tea from the leaves. It's a pretty handy tree to have around for bunnies and people.

Definitely not for the rabbits. If you're really into saving the feed, and you have a farm animal you feed scraps with a reputation for a cast-iron stomach, you could try a little on it and see if it's worth adding in small amounts to bulk up it's regular feed. Watch it closely though for any bad signs, and make sure you're not attached to it - just in case.

For example if it were me, I'd give it to my chickens, who already eat the occasional moldy scrap.

Back