Rabbit Dewormer

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jajtiii

Reaction score
Howdy - my kids have a couple of pet rabbits. The cage I built for them is a two story affair that allows them to spend some time on the ground.

When I picked one of the Holland lops up recently, it felt bony. I am guessing it has worms (probably due to extensive contact with the ground.)

We live on a small farm with various animals (cows, goats, chickens, a horse, ducks and peachicks). Has anyone used a commercial wormer for one of these animals on their rabbit?

My main goal here is to identify a dewormer that is either already on the farm or that I can pick up after work and deworm the rabbits. I cant Seem to find anything online for rabbits (so, I am thinking Safe Guard will work, but wanted to check with rabbit experts.)

Ps I searched this forum and mainly found references to garlic or other natural things. I am looking for a drug that I can purchase.

if/when we do meat rabbits, I will look into natural stuff. for these rabbits, I need a low time kill solution

Rabbit pancur 18% fendbendazole- I also used corrid 9% for my
Very skinny rabbit who would not gain weight (if you look at my thread you'll see my rabbits symptoms)

Fenbendazole. 20 mg/kg is the dosage I use. Cheapest way is the Safeguard liquid goat dewormer or generic equivalent. I use a syringe and squirt in mouth.

I use panacar (fenbendazole). Safe-guard is fenbendazole as well
The dose is 20 mg/kg according to "Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents Clinical Medicine and Surgery" by Hillyer and Quesenberry. For regular deworming I usually use a lower dose but I can't remember what it is; I just wrote it down on the bottle and the bottle is not on me right now.
Usually with worms that are severe enough to cause the rabbit to feel skinny you see other symptoms as well: the rabbits with have a pot belly and a thin, wiry coat.
If the rabbit does not have a pot belly I would not suspect worms
I would also look into Coccidiosis. Coccidia is very common in rabbits that have contact with the ground. Corid can be used to treat it but again, I can't remember the dose
From my experience nutrition is the most common reason that rabbits are underweight

I was previously recommended a pea-size drop of horse ivermectin paste. You put it in your rabbit's mouth once a week for two weeks. You can find it at Tractor Supply.

I very much appreciate the replies. Thanks for taking the time to help!

[ EDIT : Forget black walnut. It turns out to be toxic for hindgut animals! Black walnut husk (green stage) is a natural vermifuge. The dose for humans is 14 drops of tincture per day for 14 days. Worms usually appear in the stool by the 3rd day. ]

Garlic is another natural vermifuge. It might be easier to administrate. Extract garlic in oil and put the oil on pellets. It is reputedly safe for hindgut animals. I always thought it vermifuge, but the source I link below says vermicide.

Some others are listed in this work. Although it is written for horses, I find that that species' food recommendations to be almost the same as for rabbits.

I don't know of any other natural vermicides that I would feel safe using on rabbits.

I can recommend you this way to get rid of worms. You can use Anthelmintics such as fenbendazole. The drug is either administered orally with food (0.25% content) or applied in long baths. It is better to buy pure fenbendazole capsules without extra impurities.

Latest posts

Back