Rabbit Cookie Recipe Version 1.0

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
I bought flax seed to add to my herd's diet, but don't have solid bottomed feeders so I needed a way to feed it conveniently. I also wanted a way to add salt and/or minerals to their diet since they are not fed pellets and I am currently rotating mineral blocks through the cages since I haven't gotten around to cutting enough chunks off of my mineral block nor collected enough tuna cans to contain it.

I adapted a horse cookie recipe I found here: http://www.moniteausaddleclub.com/horse_treats_2.htm to make rabbit cookies.

This is the original recipe:

Breezy's Favorite

1 cup uncooked oatmeal
1 cup flour
1 cup shredded carrots or apples
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons corn or vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup molasses

Mix the ingredients into a large bowl in the order they are listed. Make small balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Leave them in the oven until they are cool, and they will harden. I have found that horses don't like soft treats as much as if they are hard.

This is my modified recipe, with greatly increased quantities since I have a LOT of rabbits, and reduced sweet ingredients:

2 1/2c rolled barley
2 1/2c crimped oats
1c flax seed
6c whole wheat flour (plus 2 additional cups*)
6c shredded vegis- I used 5c Zucchini (overgrown ones from the garden) and 1c carrot
4 TBSP salt (Reduce by half (or more) if feeding pellets or a salt source.)
3 TBSP dried Basil
3/4c (12 TBSP) olive oil**
2 1/2c water
1/2c molasses

Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes for cookies, 45 minutes if prepared as bars. They will have a rather springy rubbery texture. To hasten the drying process I then set the oven to convection at 200 degrees and left them for a couple of hours. A food dehydrator or a good dose of patience would probably work to dry them as well.

I combined all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and added the shredded vegis. I mixed the water, oil, and molasses in a measuring cup and whisked to mix.

*When I mixed the liquid in, the batter was very wet, so I added an additional 2c flour. It was still very sticky. I decided to refrigerate the batter over night to make handling it easier.
**Any oil can be used, but I didn't want to use corn oil or soy based vegetable oil.

I used a TBSP to scoop portions of batter to form into balls. It was still very sticky, so I powdered my hands with flour between rolling each ball. I baked the first batch in balls, thinking they would flatten out when they cooked. They don't.

I pre-flattened the next round in the hope that they would dry out and become crisp faster.

For the last batch, I decided to see how it would work if baked as a sheet since forming the dough into balls is time consuming. I floured a cutting board and glopped the batter onto it and flattened it out with my well-floured hands. I then took the dough and put it in an oiled cookie sheet. I scored the batter with the edge of a spatula so it would be in convenient serving sizes.

Here is the finished product- the lighter looking ones had an additional coating of flour on them to make them less sticky:

IMG_5779.JPG
IMG_5787.JPG

I am pleased to say that the rabbits love them! Here they are enjoying their cookies:

IMG_5790.JPG
IMG_5791.JPG

dragonladyleanne":23r2kdsm said:
I am going to try them for rabbit christmas treats!

Why wait? They would make a wonderful Thanksgiving treat! :p

I am probably going to up the rolled grain and reduce by an equal amount of flour in the next incarnation, and probably reduce the water content as well. I think they will dry faster with less liquid.

That is great! I love to bake but don't like having cookies around, calling my name!!! How often will you give this to your buns? As a weekly treat or more often?

Amy":20ev7i9g said:
How often will you give this to your buns? As a weekly treat or more often?

Ideally, since they are my means of feeding flax, I would like to give them daily, but that probably isn't going to happen! Baking them as bars on a sheet cuts down production time considerably, so it might be possible to do so for my breeders and keepers and just give them a couple of times weekly to growouts.

skysthelimit":20ev7i9g said:
Nice. Can you just put some in a bag and mail them to me?

For a small fee. :mrgreen:

I might be generous enough to send some out from SantaBunny though. :)

MamaSheepdog":2ujwszr4 said:
skysthelimit":2ujwszr4 said:
Nice. Can you just put some in a bag and mail them to me?

For a small fee. :mrgreen:

I might be generous enough to send some out from SantaBunny though. :)

But of course :D

I was thinking $4.99 a bag plus s&h, seems like something to market...

I would make some but I don't even cook for myself, and I don't have a stove (which is a topic for another forum. ;)

Hmm. :thinking: I will have to figure out my cost per pound. :D

Incidentally, the dogs like the cookies too! Some of the cookies fell through the growout cage bottoms which have 1/2" by 3" spacing, and Neo and Switch were all too happy to clean up after the bunnies. :)

Whoa! These look good enough to be bakery treats for PEOPLE - way to go MSD!!! I really want to make these for my bunnies - the pics of yours devouring them are so cool!

goslingfever":20cn2hyk said:
These look good enough to be bakery treats for PEOPLE - way to go MSD!!!

Lol... they were pretty salty (I tasted them!) so they might make a good pub munchie in lieu of pretzels if you want to make the patrons really thirsty. :beer2:

The round ones, did they work as play toys as well as treats? And did you bake them or dry them?

They look really good!

And perhaps a nice little earner at local pet stores?

All of them kind of worked as toys, simply because they kind of push them around when they are trying to get a grip on them. :) 24 cages of rabbits munching away makes quite a bit of noise as a result! But it is a happy racket. :D

I baked them and dried them- first baking for 15 minutes @ 350 degrees for the cookies and balls and 45 minutes for the bars, and then I kept them in a 200 degree oven for a couple of hours.

I made rabbit cookie bars tonight! :razz:

My ingredients:

2 mashed bananas
Mashed leftover 1/2 sweet potato, skin broken up
2 failed bran muffins, crumbled
Green split pea bits that fell through the colander (about 1 tablespoon)
Canola oil (about 1/3 cup)
Water (about 1 cup)
Flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
Fines (about 6 cups)

I'm guessing at the amounts here. :roll:

Fines for me, since I am feeding 14% protein quarter horse feed, consist of: whole oats, alfalfa pellets, small bits of corn, trace minerals, salt, and molasses. You could also use pellet fines, but you might need to add a little molasses.

I kept adding until I had a mixture the consistency of very thick cookie dough -- almost a little crumbly, but not quite. I pressed it onto a cookie sheet and cut it with a pizza cutter. I put it in the oven at 225* for 3 hours, and then turned off the oven. We'll pull them out tomorrow morning! :razz:

I make something like that but I use wheat and barley for half of the flour and bake it in my bread machine. It doesn't rise much so I get a very dense loaf. I'll try adding flax seed into the next batch. I slice the bread and dry it before feeding it to rabbits. Soft bread doesn't work well for rabbits.

Miss M, how did the cookies turn out? Did the bunnehs like them?

mystang89":1ym0upbx said:
My only change would have been to make them look like rabbits too

I don't have a rabbit shaped cookie cutter. :( It is on my list of "must haves"... maybe Santa will give me one as a stocking stuffer! :p

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":1ym0upbx said:
i cant see how this is good for rabbits. All the sugar and flour...

I greatly reduced the amount of molasses from the original horse cookie recipe. I don't think 1/2 cup molasses to 14 cups other ingredients is too much sugar. But it could be dropped completely. Apple sauce could also be used as a sweetener if desired. I made another batch after my first one and reduced the flour by quite a bit- but unless there is enough flour in there the dough wont hold together.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":1ym0upbx said:
rabbits need flax seed that isnt heated.

I want to try a dehydrated version also. I just bought little votive candle holders at the Dollar store that I am using as bowls for the flax seed.

hoodat":1ym0upbx said:
I make something like that but I use wheat and barley for half of the flour and bake it in my bread machine.

My recipe would kill a bread machine! I was afraid to even use our KitchenAid stand mixer for it. Lol!

We have a bread machine also, but we remove the dough and put it in loaf pans and bake it in the oven for more traditionally shaped loaves.

MamaSheepdog":e6mi2z5o said:
Miss M, how did the cookies turn out? Did the bunnehs like them?
They love them! They went crazy! And since it has a lot of the salt and trace minerals that falls off of the feed, maybe they're getting stuff they've been missing. I don't know if they've been deficient, but I feel better now that they're getting the cookies. :D

Latest posts

Back