Rabbit breeds for meat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to Rabbit Talk!

One of the popular meat breeds in the United States is the New Zealand, although there's several others as well. With the name "New Zealand", one would expect it would also be popular there, too, but I don't know if it is.

What climate conditions do you have and are there any local breeds in Nairobi which do especially well there?

Hey its nice to be here! Am from Nairobi, what is the best breed for meat?
Get a local breed that can handle your climate. Rabbits and heat are not a really good combo. And long travel times create their own challenges. Maybe the local vet knows someone who raises rabbits?

Welcome to Rabbit Talk!

One of the popular meat breeds in the United States is the New Zealand, although there's several others as well. With the name "New Zealand", one would expect it would also be popular there, too, but I don't know if it is.

What climate conditions do you have and are there any local breeds in Nairobi which do especially well there?
Thank you hotzcatz

Get a local breed that can handle your climate. Rabbits and heat are not a really good combo. And long travel times create their own challenges. Maybe the local vet knows someone who raises rabbits?
Thank you tambayo ill do exactly that

Welcome to Rabbit Talk!

New Zealand rabbits were developed in the USA not New Zealand. They are an exceptional meat and fur breed that is very cold Hardy.

There are New zealand white in kenya as well as califonian rabbits. However the New Zeeland are the most popular here. Summers are short, warm, and overcast and the winters are long, cool, and mostly cloudy here in Kenya. Do you know anything about rabbit exports and any potential market for meat?

There are New zealand white in kenya as well as califonian rabbits. However the New Zeeland are the most popular here. Summers are short, warm, and overcast and the winters are long, cool, and mostly cloudy here in Kenya. Do you know anything about rabbit exports and any potential market for meat?
What is your goal? To setup a large commercial operation? Or to enable individual families to produce food for themselves? Rabbits would seem to offer at least one great advantage over chickens. Rabbits can be fed gathered plant material not digestible by people or poultry.

What is your goal? To setup a large commercial operation? Or to enable individual families to produce food for themselves? Rabbits would seem to offer at least one great advantage over chickens. Rabbits can be fed gathered plant material not digestible by people or poultry.
My goal is to create employment for the society through rabbit farming, such that the farmers would raise the rabbits then I would look for an export market since in export we would find a sustainable demand than the local markets. Setting a large commercial operation, that would simply mean that the benefits are felt by the community through job creation

My goal is to create employment for the society through rabbit farming, such that the farmers would raise the rabbits then I would look for an export market since in export we would find a sustainable demand than the local markets. Setting a large commercial operation, that would simply mean that the benefits are felt by the community through job creation

Latest posts

Back