Rabbit acting sad and has a bump/swell on her eyelid. Help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bumps on her eyes get smaller and drier every day. Today they are like black pepper seed size and black. The swell on the eyes and head also goes away nicely. Dark bumps in her ears too. She got skinnier but that's what vet told me will happen if she survives. She has apetite and when i was cleaning her hutch she was grabbing the shovel with her teeth and trying to get it out. She's pretty active. She breather heavily though but i don't think it's becoming worse. That's almost 2 weeks of her having symptoms now. I think she'll eventually be fine.

I don't know but i think she has more troubles with breathing. She even drinks bit by bit, like a chicken and after drinking she coughes/chokes. She still has apetite though. Tomorrow it will 2 weeks with symptoms.

Well, fingers crossed...

What are you feeding? Maybe dampening some of her food might help with water intake. Even read of someone who's bunny went crazy for wet hay - I wouldn't leave it in there for long since I guess it would spoil fast, but maybe worth a try.

Last edited:
Well, fingers crossed...

What are you feeding? Maybe dampening some of her food might help with water intake. Even read of someone who's bunny went crazy for wet hay - I wouldn't leave it in there for long since I guess it would spoil fast, but maybe worth a try.
She drinks water , not lesser than she did before breathing problems i think but she coughs or chokes after drinking. The bumps however almost all turned to black small scabs now and are about to vanish i think.

Does she only have trouble breathing after eating or drinking? If you have a humidifier that may help and maybe respiratory RX it's for chickens but may help open her airway?

Does she only have trouble breathing after eating or drinking? If you have a humidifier that may help and maybe respiratory RX it's for chickens but may help open her airway?
She breathes heavily all the time. After drinking she coughes/chokes but after eating seems fine. She's an outdoor rabbit so i guess that it's humid enough especially that it was raining yesterday and the day before yesterday. I don't know but i think she breathes a bit better today. Gonna keep you updated.

By the way she got pretty skinny during the illness and almost all bumps are black scabs that seem to fall off soon. She has a little patches without ffur in corners of eyes, probably some discharge dried out and she pulled it off with fur while cleaning herself.
All the time i give her hay after some time it lies somewhere else so she is either playing with it or doesn't want it in her food bowl (she had a hay rack in previous cage but now she is isolated from other bunnies and there is no hay rack in this hutch)

Today she had one nostril fully blocked by dried discharge. 15 minutes ago i went to her in order to get rid of the discharge with cottonpad soaked in warm water. Idk if it's stress or it hurts her so much but she almost bit my fingertip off and bit my hand and jacket in few places. I only got rid of small piece of this dried junk but opened the nostril a little thanks to it.
She still has apetite, today i gave her turnip and black radish and carrot leaves (i've been diggin them out) and some small carrots and parsnips and she went to eat them straight away. She didn't eat them all because there is a lot of it but she still has apetite.

And one more thing - could i put her outside on grass when it's not raining and the weather is good in this state? She used to go outside when she had 2-3 days symptoms and was ok.

The humidifier would help un clog her nostrils. This is what I've used in the past. Screenshot_20211016-214332_Amazon Shopping.jpgScreenshot_20211016-214332_Amazon Shopping.jpgit sounds like she may have a respiratory infection. Choline really supports lung health because the body utilizes it to make surfactant which helps keep your alveoli open(the blood gas barrier is in the alveoli). I found this article about choline and rabbits and apparently choline is really important for rabbits.https://academic.oup.com/jn/article-abstract/53/3/377/4722045
I'm sure there are choline rich foods you can give her.

The humidifier would help un clog her nostrils. This is what I've used in the past. View attachment 28001View attachment 28001it sounds like she may have a respiratory infection. Choline really supports lung health because the body utilizes it to make surfactant which helps keep your alveoli open(the blood gas barrier is in the alveoli). I found this article about choline and rabbits and apparently choline is really important for rabbits.https://academic.oup.com/jn/article-abstract/53/3/377/4722045
I'm sure there are choline rich foods you can give her.
She has myxomatosis vet said but she was vaccinated so she may survive. Myxo can cause breathing problems. I'll read about it. She was outside today and was active

Are all your rabbits vaccinated? Your rabbit was probably infected by an insect bite. you might want to Prevent rabbit fleas. Use a suitable spot-on flea killer to limit the spread of disease. Your vet will advise.

Hope she recovers and is not having any pain.

Are all your rabbits vaccinated? Your rabbit was probably infected by an insect bite. you might want to Prevent rabbit fleas. Use a suitable spot-on flea killer to limit the spread of disease. Your vet will advise.
All rabbits are vaccinated. Rest is okay

Today vet gave her anti-inflammatory injection. She's going to get another on monday. Vet said that she looks good except for the breathing (thats why she got the injection)

She was after second injection yesterday. Maybe she'll go for the last inflammatory injection tomorrow. Her genitalia area was still very smelly and "dirty/scabby" but i cleaned it. I don't know what that was but i cleaned it almost all, tomorrow i'll check on it. It smelled so bad that i though i would puke. Rabbit has apetite and drinks btw. And while cleaning there were like small brown/black dots very small like half of milimeter or smaller in the fur that got wet while cleaning but weren;'t moving at all. And seems like her ear mites came back, don't know how but guess i'm gonna treat her again. There's only a little bit of ear mites scabs in ears so it'll go fast.

She had her last injection today. She breathes better and doesn't cough after drinking. Vet told me to clean her butt and nose. She seems like she's coming back to health. She was pretty active when i let her on the garden and she has apetite.

I am so glad your rabbit is doing better! I had no idea what myxomatosis was, so I looked it up. Apparently it was introduced into your country by someone who wanted to control the rabbit population. Another example of humans thinking they know what they're doing and screwing everything up royally. I hope she is okay and I hope that disease does not make its way to the United States! At least stupid people only introduced kudzu LOL it's not quite as horrible. Myxomatosis - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

Back