Rabbit acting sad and has a bump/swell on her eyelid. Help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krank

Reaction score
Hello, today i noticed that my rabbit has a bump/pimple/swell on her eyelid. She's been treated for ear mites recently with human grade scabies medicine (vet recommender me this one) and it's cured now (i'm mentioning it just in case). There was also a bit of boogers/mucus but i cleaned it before taking the photo. She's vaccinated. She's an outdoor rabbit and lives near 2 other vaccinated rabbits. They are okay for now. What do you think about it? She also seems sad and isn't as active as always.

1633100072209.png

I took her to vet and he confirmed myxomatosis. Vet told me to isolate her and observe and that it doesn't look that bad for the moment and there is a chance that she will survive.

And today i found out that she also has some kind of scabs (similiar to those from ear mites which she had back then) near the anus/scent glands... It smelles pretty bad when i pulled her tail up. I guess that I'm going to vet again tomorrow.

What country are you in? USA usually don't vaccine rabbits.
I'm in Poland and i've vaccinated her. I may give her some dried or fresh nettle to boost her immunity a bit today because i can go to the vet tomorrow. The scabs around genital/anus area don't look good either.

Her eyelids are almost closed now... They get bigger and bigger every day. She sits in one place almost whole time, drinks and eats a little, she's also pretty nervous when i touch her nose (no bumps on it, and she was the calmest of mine rabbits when it comes to touching their noses...). I'm taking her to vet tomorrow's morning

She''s been to vet. Vet gave her an antibiotic injection, tomorrow we are going to inject her again. Some white discharge/puss appeared in one of her eyes. Some bumps also appeared on her nose and back. Her eyes are almost closed. She eats a little food and drinks a little, probably too little water.

I let her run around in the garden. She spends most time in her favourite spot. She has even dug a little hole and she keeps her front legs in it.

My understanding is that this is not a common illness in the US, and is not well known here, however, I think the scabbing is part of the disease progression, but there may be secondary (bacterial) infections. Because the vector is biting insects (fleas, mosquitos, etc) the isolation should include avoiding letting the sick rabbit be bitten by those insects to prevent transmission. I hope she recovers. Without vaccination I think this is generally fatal, but I am not familar with the recovery statisitcs of vaccinated animals.

My understanding is that this is not a common illness in the US, and is not well known here, however, I think the scabbing is part of the disease progression, but there may be secondary (bacterial) infections. Because the vector is biting insects (fleas, mosquitos, etc) the isolation should include avoiding letting the sick rabbit be bitten by those insects to prevent transmission. I hope she recovers. Without vaccination I think this is generally fatal, but I am not familar with the recovery statisitcs of vaccinated animals.
People say that because she's vaccinated, she has more chances to survive. Today she got injected with antibiotics and tomorrow she will too. Vet is surprised that she was vaccinated 4 months ago and yet she got ill

She got another antibiotic, tomorrow we are going for next one. I don't know but i think her eyes are slightly more opened today. She's pretty active when i let her in the garden. Vet said that she looks far better than other rabbits (unvaccinated) she's seen with myxomatosis/.

when let out she went to other place than always and was pretty active (i mean pretty active for ill and stressed rabbit) but a strong wind appeared and she went to hide in a bush and i had to take her back to hutch

She's just returned from vet. She got another injection of antibiotics. Vet said that she seems like coming back to health because her eyes are more and more open every day and the bumps are more red coloured and seem to become drier and drier. 2 more injections to go - tomorrow and day after tomorrow.

She was at vet's today and got her antibiotics. Only one injection (tomorrow) left to go. Vet says that she looks better than yesterday. I see that she's more active and has better apetite

She seems good, bumps on eyes are drying. Discharge in eyes is still present however. She can open her eyes nicely but she started breathing heavily, probably because of swollen airways. Hopefully she'll recover

Latest posts

Back