Rabbit acting sad and has a bump/swell on her eyelid. Help

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so glad your rabbit is doing better! I had no idea what myxomatosis was, so I looked it up. Apparently it was introduced into your country by someone who wanted to control the rabbit population. Another example of humans thinking they know what they're doing and screwing everything up royally. I hope she is okay and I hope that disease does not make its way to the United States! At least stupid people only introduced kudzu LOL it's not quite as horrible. Myxomatosis - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
She is breathing better, a lot better but still is ill. I've gotten rid of ear mites.

She is still alive, one nostril hasn't had scabs since a few days, the second one still has. She's breathing better and only one eye produces discharge. Turned out that she had big scab on her nose and she ripped it off/it fell off and now she has half of her nose bald and bad looking but it doesn't go worse. Looks like she's gonna come back to health soon. She also has apetite and is pretty active.

The second eye started producing discharge a few days ago. Most scabs are gone and when you stroke her her head and ears fluffy almost like healthy. No ear mites. Still has some difficulties breathing. Shes been sick for so long now but i hope shell survive if she made it this far.

Her nose (not nostrils) is getting better and hair started to grow on it again and her genital area doesnt stink now and hair is back there becaushe she was bald there.

sometimes when it was cold she had a little bit of it in her nose and after getting rid of the scab in nostril theres a little bit of it. Vet has seen it too when she was at vet's.

+ the fur in front of eyes is sticked up so those aren't "regular tears"

She was at vet a few weeks ago and got another 3 antibiotic shots because her state had worsen. Her eyelid became swolle and very red, so much discharge was coming out that you could see it accumulating with naked eye. After antibiotics everything came back to normal. She is acting pretty normally, i dont see discharge, only the fur near eyes is a bit sticked but she manages to keep eyes clean so there. Her breathing is pretty calm but you can still hear that shes panting a bit. And the scab (or idk what else i can call it) on nose and nostrils keeps bothering her but turned out that i dont have to rip it off (and cause her pain) but she cleans it herself and it doesnt seal her nostrils. Vet said that "she'll never be perfectly healthy after this" but she put on weight, (she weighed 3.25kg when she was very ill and now she weights 3.70kg) and isn't lethargic. Her genital area problem also healed up and it doesnt stink and there are no scabs. She ahs grown fur there also.

Yes but she was vaccinated 2 times in total
Asking because I have a bunny that has signs of myxomatosis, some bumps around one eye that is watery (it was really bad for a couple days but seems to be getting better) and puffy mouth. He is eating fine and still has energy. But he's had the eye thing for at least two weeks, and everything I've read says it doesn't take long for them to die from it. How long did your bunny have symptoms?

Attachments

• PXL_20211210_005426712.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211210_005426712.MP.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20211210_005449900.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211210_005449900.MP.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20211210_005531255.MP.jpg
    PXL_20211210_005531255.MP.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 4
Asking because I have a bunny that has signs of myxomatosis, some bumps around one eye that is watery (it was really bad for a couple days but seems to be getting better) and puffy mouth. He is eating fine and still has energy. But he's had the eye thing for at least two weeks, and everything I've read says it doesn't take long for them to die from it. How long did your bunny have symptoms?
Well mine had symptoms since 1 october so a bit more than 2 months (since a few weeks/a month maybe there are no typical myxo symptoms but those scabs on nose and discharge from eyes and breathing difficulties). She has been to vet many times, in total she was given 6 antibiotic injections and 3 anti inflammatory injections and her nape hardened from tso many injections that vet had to give next one in leg or butt (idk). I heavily advise you to go to vet with her because if i didn't go with mine she'd probably be dead right now :(. There are a few myxo kinds. One is that rabbit dies within i guess 48 hours since infections without any symptoms and there is even one that makes rabbit live about 40 days and has pretty mild symptoms i'd say and has highest survival ratio. And ofc i advise you to vaccinate your bunny if she wasnt vaccinated. And those differend myxo kinds can have a bit different symptoms. Mine bunny started with eyelids a bit swollen and soon her whole head was swollen so much that her eyes were almost closed. Now she looks very beautiful and normal except for a bit of discharge and scabs on nose (or dried nasal discharge, i dont really know :/) You can read the whole thread for some info from people that posted here and to see how myxo in my rabbit was progressing.

i hope ur bunny gets better 🐇

i hope ur bunny gets better 🐇
Thank you! I did go back a read the whole thread. I remember when you first posted. My bunny's case does seem mild, if it is myxo... I'm in the US though, so I don't think there is a vaccine here. There are also no known cases in my area. So I'm wondering if it's a dental problem.

Thank you! I did go back a read the whole thread. I remember when you first posted. My bunny's case does seem mild, if it is myxo... I'm in the US though, so I don't think there is a vaccine here. There are also no known cases in my area. So I'm wondering if it's a dental problem.
To be honest you can only be sure with vet's diagnose. I wish you good luck with the treatment

She is getting a lot better, only a little bit of eye discharge, she has apetite, energy, no swelling and even bites and throws my hand away when i put my hand behind her which she doesnt like. Last time she was doing that was when she was healthy.

Back