Quick, before it wilts!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
I just harvested some of my basil and oregano for the rabbits because it was about to go to seed. I’m going to dry it for the rabbits. Can I dry the stem and they will eat that too? Or should I be pulling the leaves off?
Thanks!

Usually one can dry herbs stem and all by hanging them in small bunches or laid flat on a screen. They must have good air circulation to prevent mould. I imagine your weather is similar to mine which has been cool for high summer and breezy. This is great weather for drying things, but I don't suppose it will last.

When the weather is extremely humid, it might be better to dry the leaves individually. A fan to increase air circulation can also be helpful.

Some years ago, I scored a free sweater dryer with a fan on Kijiji. It was something like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-11510-4-Shelf-Garment/dp/B000R8E8OE
I had to give up the rabbits soon after that and I never actually tried it out, but I think it would be ideal for drying forage for the rabbits.

Rabbits will the whole herb. Mint, Lemon Balm, Dill, Basil, Parsley, Cilantro, ect.

For drying, simply band/tie the plant upside down to a cabinet handle or something similar. For storing it, wait untill it is completely dry, usually a week, or else it will mold.

Thanks! I’ll have to find a bigger area to hang things. I used a dehydrator this time on lowest heat, but it wouldn’t fit the stems, so I picked the leaves off and then is didn’t dry very well, either 😒 this stuff may be used for my own cooking. Rabbits can have next harvest and I’ll dry it differently.

Thanks! I’ll have to find a bigger area to hang things. I used a dehydrator this time on lowest heat, but it wouldn’t fit the stems, so I picked the leaves off and then is didn’t dry very well, either 😒 this stuff may be used for my own cooking. Rabbits can have next harvest and I’ll dry it differently.
Oh yes, this method is much better than dehydrater!

Rabbits will the whole herb. Mint, Lemon Balm, Dill, Basil, Parsley, Cilantro, ect.

For drying, simply band/tie the plant upside down to a cabinet handle or something similar. For storing it, wait untill it is completely dry, usually a week, or else it will mold.
Is there any herb that a rabbit can't have?

Latest posts

Back