Quick 101 on using a pin tattoo-er please

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
Have to tattoo the 4H rabbits tonight and have never used a tattoo-er so, can anyone walk me through using a pin tattoo-er? Please?

If you are using a clamp style Tattooer,
you have to decide on the numbers and or letters that you are going to use.
Load them into the clamp: For example PR3 would be the first letter of the Does
and sires names and the rabbits number.
Have your tattoo ink ready, clamp the chosen combination of letters and or numbers
into the rabbits left ear. With a small acid brush or tooth brush rub the ink into the holes
once you have removed the clamp. You are done, allow a few days for the excess ink
to wear off on it's own. Congrats, you have tattooed your rabbit.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

ottersatin":3jttru5z said:
If you are using a clamp style Tattooer,
you have to decide on the numbers and or letters that you are going to use.
Load them into the clamp: For example PR3 would be the first letter of the Does
and sires names and the rabbits number.
Have your tattoo ink ready, clamp the chosen combination of letters and or numbers
into the rabbits left ear. With a small acid brush or tooth brush rub the ink into the holes
once you have removed the clamp. You are done, allow a few days for the excess ink
to wear off on it's own. Congrats, you have tattooed your rabbit.

Perfect! I was told to put the ink on the pin letters but couldn't see how that would work, this makes MUCH more sense.

How much pressure is applied to the ear via clamp?

I get to redo the tattoos that failed at the last meeting - not by me, I hasten to add - due to lack of pins going into ears deep enough to do the job instead of just hurt.

Don't be afraid to use too much pressure.
Even if the pins go through the ink will stay
once the holes heal. Many chose to wipe the ear with
some type of sealer, I just let it seal and clear itself as the ink dries.
Ottersatin. C.V.R. :eek:ldtimer:

Thank you so much for your help, with your words of encouragement and advice I got the equipment, played with it a bit and practiced with some cardboard to make good impressions.

However, the ONLY rabbit that showed up to be to be done was owned by not very nice (and opinionated :roll: ) people. I got a right earful - oh dear, pardon the pun please :lol: - when I wanted to follow the DIRECTIONS as to when to put the ink on and then the pins went through the ear and it bled.................

Well, if they ever need a rabbit tattoo-ed again, after their discourtesy, they can bloody do it themselves!

But I am pleased with knowing how to do it now and shall be tattoo-ing this seasons kits as soon as they are ready.

Oh BOTHER!
Tattooing is no worse than someone getting their ear pierced.
A little bit of bleeding is always a possibility. Some people are just a bit too squeamish.
If those things so upset them, perhaps having Rabbits is not really their cup of tea!
Don't sweat the small stuff! the second rule is: It's all small stuff.

ottersatin":11dqwypa said:
Oh BOTHER!
Tattooing is no worse than someone getting their ear pierced.
A little bit of bleeding is always a possibility. Some people are just a bit too squeamish.
If those things so upset them, perhaps having Rabbits is not really their cup of tea!
Don't sweat the small stuff! the second rule is: It's all small stuff.

:lol: I love the two rules!

Latest posts

Back