Questions about californians

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweeethearts_2002

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am recently (1 year) owner of 3 does and 1 buck of which I know we're bred before. I had 3 fall off with 2 does and only 1 fall off with another. One of my does has gained 5lb in 10 days! Is this normal. She also gad 2 bouts of loose stool and since I was over feeding (didn't know) and started manually feeding 1c mixedpellet and oat (light on oats) per day she seemed to eat normal and now eating less, I changed her water to electrolytes until poop comes back normal I'm also giving dandelions to help. I have no experience Palpating but I tried. I think I'm feeling kit movement but not 100% sure. Her weight 10 days ago was 11. 2. Now it's 16.2. I'm nervous she's just over weight at the same time scared she won't have a box in time. I have doing thr dame thing just ones stools are normal and she is 1lb lighter. Here's aa pic of the heaviest. Any advise on what to expect during g pregnancy and or what you think?

Attachments

• 20220502_200409.jpg
    20220502_200409.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220502_200333.jpg
    20220502_200333.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 7
Let me first say I'm an amateur in all respects but I do have Cali's and can only compare to mine.

As an inexperienced amateur I have never tried to palpitate. My view is you get what you get. Fumbling about isn't going to make it any different.

In the politest way of saying it. She does look a bit hefty compared to mine, even in kit. But there's nothing you can do about it now she needs nourishment for her and her unborn kits. Plus they're all different the same as we are.

One fall off for me drew a complete blank but other people have had a result so who knows.

Go with the nest box, what's to lose?

Good luck

Let me first say I'm an amateur in all respects but I do have Cali's and can only compare to mine.

As an inexperienced amateur I have never tried to palpitate. My view is you get what you get. Fumbling about isn't going to make it any different.

In the politest way of saying it. She does look a bit hefty compared to mine, even in kit. But there's nothing you can do about it now she needs nourishment for her and her unborn kits. Plus they're all different the same as we are.

One fall off for me drew a complete blank but other people have had a result so who knows.

Go with the nest box, what's to lose?

Good luck
This doe started at 11.2lbs and about 10 days after I first got her weight she had gained that. I didn't think to weigh them before breeding haha I'm so green here , but I got it about a week in and then 10 days later and bam she had gained 5pounds...to me that seemed like a lot. I do ration them to 1cup of oats w 18% and some rolled oats mixed in and hay every day. Unfortunately my husband just bought a bale of regular hay and that's what they get, but they like it. They get some timmothy, but will be adding something else soon and slowly going away from reg hay. She has started eating less recently of the pellet and more hay, now in the past couple of days less all together but isn't nesting yet.

I didn't weigh mine either in fact the only weight check they've had is at the vets for inoculations. I can't really comment on feed because my rabbits are on grass 24/7 so I don't use a compatible amount of feed of hay to anybody else here as far as I can tell?

If you've sorted out her stool problem then I would just see her through the pregnancy normally. Maybe try not to get too fixated on her weight. As long as she's happy and healthy it's a good start.

I didn't weigh mine either in fact the only weight check they've had is at the vets for inoculations. I can't really comment on feed because my rabbits are on grass 24/7 so I don't use a compatible amount of feed of hay to anybody else here as far as I can tell?

If you've sorted out her stool problem then I would just see her through the pregnancy normally. Maybe try not to get too fixated on her weight. As long as she's happy and healthy it's a good start.
Ah yea she's happy and healthy so she seems. We've never had a lose stool from any of them or cicotropes . No other symptoms just seems as though she's expecting. I think I'm more nervous than she is and I'm excited but I just want to ensure her healthiness.

Back