Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know, but she isn’t underweight, she’s eating. What I’m trying to ask is it okay to breed the two even if she’s about 4 1/2 to 5 lbs?
you said " I’m afraid she may be a bit underweight from being depressed about losing her. But she still eats though." that is the statement that concerned me. If she's underweight due to what you call depression, do not breed her.

I would NOT recommend breeding her to your bigger buck. It's not worth the health risk for her. And at five years of age, it is riskier for her to give birth.

you said " I’m afraid she may be a bit underweight from being depressed about losing her. But she still eats though." that is the statement that concerned me. If she's underweight due to what you call depression, do not breed her.

I would NOT recommend breeding her to your bigger buck. It's not worth the health risk for her. And at five years of age, it is riskier for her to give birth.
Thanks.

Okay, I didn’t know that there was a certain age to stop though.
I've bred an English Angora doe of this age. She had had 3 litters before and was a very good mom. I thought if any doe could do it, it would be her. Sadly, all kits but 2 were stillborn. Even so she accepted another doe's kits and happily raised them. I'm pretty sure she would have mourned herself to death if she had not had those kits to raise. (Most does will not accept another litter unless you trick them.) That doe bled out right after kindling.

I've bred an English Angora doe of this age. She had had 3 litters before and was a very good mom. I thought if any doe could do it, it would be her. Sadly, all kits but 2 were stillborn. Even so she accepted another doe's kits and happily raised them. I'm pretty sure she would have mourned herself to death if she had not had those kits to raise. (Most does will not accept another litter unless you trick them.) That doe bled out right after kindling.
Oh. The 2 live ones were poorly and one died at about 3 weeks and the other one was never robust.

(Most does will not accept another litter unless you trick them.)

for fostering newborns?

I"ve NEVER had a problem fostering kits up to 10 days old with a new mom. When they are over five days you just remove the nestbox for a couple of hours, but nothing more than that. I've had moderate success with kits from 10 days to three weeks by removing mom and then letting the whole lot of them and letting them all run together for four hours in mom's cage. Put mom back in and she doesn't care. Rabbits don't count.

for fostering newborns?

I"ve NEVER had a problem fostering kits up to 10 days old with a new mom. When they are over five days you just remove the nestbox for a couple of hours, but nothing more than that. I've had moderate success with kits from 10 days to three weeks by removing mom and then letting the whole lot of them and letting them all run together for four hours in mom's cage. Put mom back in and she doesn't care. Rabbits don't count.
In angoras that is very rare. We had to rub kits on the new momma's vent, but them in the new nest for 24 hrs etc. This was true of all angoras but Eng. We're a little easier than the others.

In angoras that is very rare. We had to rub kits on the new momma's vent, but them in the new nest for 24 hrs etc. This was true of all angoras but Eng. We're a little easier than the others.
Gee. No edit feature here. Sorry for the typos.

Um, yes, there is an edit feature. Under your post it will say "report edit delete spam warn"
Then on the same line in the corner it has a like and reply button

Hm, isn't there a difference between members, supporting members, and moderators? Can't tell since I enjoy that editing feature. Would be nice if it were universal.

Back