question about Vitamins and electrolytes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CritterCatcher

Reaction score
ok so as posted earlier we had babys (NZW x ?)

so my question is
is water enough for the doe or should i consider add ""Stress-Aid"" to her water....I use it for my chickens and ducks...and was wondering if I SOULD or SHOULD NOT add it to the does water

here is the Active Ingredients

Stress-Aid (Canada)
This page contains information on Stress-Aid for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
Stress-Aid Indications
Warnings and cautions for Stress-Aid
Direction and dosage information for Stress-Aid
Stress-aid
This treatment applies to the following species:

Beef Cattle
Chickens
Dairy Cattle
Horses
Swine
Turkeys
Manufacturer: Vétoquinol
Vitamin And Electrolyte Water Soluble Powder For Poultry, Swine, Cattle And Horses
Din 02080486
Veterinary Use Only
Active Ingredients Per 100 G
Vitamin A (vitamin A acetate)
2 566 000 I.U.

Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol)
561 000 I.U.

Vitamin E (dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate)
1 870 I.U.

Thiamine hydrochloride
462.5 mg

Riboflavin
1 122 mg

Calcium d-pantothenate
3 252 mg

Niacinamide
4 488 mg

Pyridoxine hydrochloride
448.8 mg

Folic acid
112.2 mg

Biotin
18 700 mcg

Vitamin B12
3 740 mcg

Ascorbic acid
555 mg

Menadione sodium bisulfite
748 mg

Sodium chloride
49.3 g

Sodium acetate
4.166 g

Sodium diacetate
2.083 g

Sodium bicarbonate
4.166 g

Potassium chloride
12.49 g

CC

from rabbitgeek notes:

I use the electrolytes/vitamin powder you buy for poultry, swine,
etc. I use 1/2 teaspoon to 5 gals of water. My rabbits are on water
bottles so I fill a 5 gal water cooler and fill from the bottle from
the little spigot because it's easier than using a hose. It's also
easy to mix electrolytes in the water cooler. I fill the water cooler
with a garden hose and spray nozzle.

(note: Ray Stacy recommends 1 tablespoon per 1 gallon of water)

If you use an auto water system may want to pre-mix the powder and
some water in a plastic bottle,shake it to mix, then pour the
concentrated liquid into your tank.

The water should look like pale yellow sports drink. When water starts
appearing clear again time to add more mix.

Have a good day!

I use mana pro calf mana or vigorplus pellets mixed with BOS and oats.

rabbitgeek":2138dxct said:
from rabbitgeek notes:

I use the electrolytes/vitamin powder you buy for poultry, swine,
etc. I use 1/2 teaspoon to 5 gals of water. My rabbits are on water
bottles so I fill a 5 gal water cooler and fill from the bottle from
the little spigot because it's easier than using a hose. It's also
easy to mix electrolytes in the water cooler. I fill the water cooler
with a garden hose and spray nozzle.

(note: Ray Stacy recommends 1 tablespoon per 1 gallon of water)

If you use an auto water system may want to pre-mix the powder and
some water in a plastic bottle,shake it to mix, then pour the
concentrated liquid into your tank.

The water should look like pale yellow sports drink. When water starts
appearing clear again time to add more mix.

Have a good day!

Most of these packets of vitamins and elecrolytes work out to be around 1/2 to 1 teaspoon per gallon (at the concentration the manufacturer recomends) 1 tespoon to 10 gallons of water would seem to be quite a low concentration while 3 teaspoons per gallon would seem quite high. The manufacturers used to give the exact concentration for 1 gallon, but most of them only give directions for using the whole envelope in a premix system now.

While 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons would seem a rather weak mixture, it might be preferential if one was using it daily. I have found very little need for vitamins and electolytes in rabbits (fed quality pellets), but I must confess I use it myself, especially if I suspect the animals have been or will be under some kind of stress. I would certainly use it if I were not feeding pellets and using grains/forage. The bigggest risk, I believe in feeding a grain forage mixture, is not providing all the nutrients a rabbit needs. In the wild, animals tend to have a "taste" for plants that have minerals and vitamins they are in need of. Animals constrained in cages, only have a choice of what a person provides. Maggie has been very successful in "natural" feeding. I think that her success is partially due to the wide variety of forage she provides. The trouble with vitamins and minerals is that one can feed their animals a ration deficient in the needed nutrients and the problems may not show up till months later. They even may not show up in the adult animal at all, but may cause mortality or poor health in the kits.

Many consider the electrolyte mixes for specialty like trying to rehydrate a rabbit with diarrhea, a quality feed should provide a complete diet, or if you feed forage (grass, scraps) or make your own feed, you can put mineral licks (cheaper)

I feed the supplements to my nursing does, it really helps the milk come in, I like Calf Manna more, it has a lot more Fenugreek in it which really makes the milk, and it has increased protein and carbs, but a little goes a long way, and if you over feed it, you will wipe a poor bunny out with diarrhea. I mix about a Tablespoon in with my BOS and oat.

ok
thanks for the help....i have mixed it 1/2 tsp per gallon...and i think i will use it for a bit as my does had 11 babys and i just think it will help her out a bit while feeding the babys...
I feed the purina performance pellets so there getting a good food..
we have no place around here that has CALF MANNA....i wish i could find a place closer then 3 hrs away...I just am not driving 3 hrs for feed..
CC

I use salt/mineral licks for all my rabbits (I grain-feed), but my nursing does get a tbsp of calcium drench (for goats) per quart in their water.

CritterCatcher":1vdnbbt3 said:
ok
thanks for the help....i have mixed it 1/2 tsp per gallon...and i think i will use it for a bit as my does had 11 babys and i just think it will help her out a bit while feeding the babys...
I feed the purina performance pellets so there getting a good food..
we have no place around here that has CALF MANNA....i wish i could find a place closer then 3 hrs away...I just am not driving 3 hrs for feed..
CC

Most if not all feed stores will have some kind of protein concentrate, look for dairy products and compare their label to the one on the MannaPro website for Calf Manna to make sure it's a close enough substitute. I've had good luck with a Dairy Protein supplement here.

I have talked to people that keep the vitamins and electrolytes on hand for a round after shows, etc, but I don't know anyone that uses it for any other purpose on a regular basis. Seems like it's more for stressed or sick bunnies. Whether or not a pregnant/nursing doe qualifies as stressed, perhaps, depends on the individual doe.

I usually gave electrolyte water to pregnant does or before a big show.

If you can't find Calf Manna, look for Animax which is same kind of product, different mill.

Have a good day!

Ok this is kinda stupid, but, basic electrolyte/sugar mix would seem to be Gatorade, how much difference would it make from Gatorade and the expensive stuff?

Jack":jlaftf4s said:
Ok this is kinda stupid, but, basic electrolyte/sugar mix would seem to be Gatorade, how much difference would it make from Gatorade and the expensive stuff?

jack
the stress-aid i have is cheap... 1 pack is like $6 or $7 and for chickens it does 364LT of water and for rabbits it works out to 1/3 pack to 364LT of water or 1 pack to 1092LT of water.....so here it is way cheaper then ..say Gatorade

CC

I've found that vitamin/electrolyte mixes added to the water of rabbits during stressful periods (i.e., long trips to/from shows, relocations, warmer weather, etc.) tend to give a bit of needed strength and energy.

Latest posts

Back