Question about pedigree

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyKarli

Reaction score
I have a pedigree doe with papers & tattoo. I have a purebred buck without papers & tattoo. Without the documentation are any kits worth anything or do I need to get a documented buck.

You cannot call it pedigreed without the actual pedigree. The kits would have a partial pedigree and then you can breed a buck kit back to mom and that would give kits only missing one generation on the sires side. Breed a buck back from THAT litter and all of the resulting kits would be fully pedigreed.

the kits are still worth something, but you can't sell them as pedigreed rabbits and you cant have them registered. if the buck is nice you can breed him and if you breed his children and then his grandchildren and so on you'll eventually get a full pedigree. you can still show him and his offspring, and sell them for 4-H and all that stuff. a partial pedigree is not ideal, but its not the worst thing in the world

I have a similar pair, doe has papers, no ear tattoo. Buck has only an ear tattoo. I plan on keeping one of their kit bucks and selling the dad once the new one is proven. Then do the same with that new pair. At that point I'd just keep the grandkit, since pedigrees can be in 3 generations or 4.

Personally I wouldn't buy a rabbit that inbred to make a pedigreed offspring anymore likely or costly than I'd buy unpedigreed offspring. I'd get a 2nd doe, use that to get your 3 generations, and then sell the doe and breed the final buck you kept to your other doe as your pair. You'll get your money back out of the temp doe and a better pedigree. You can also keep does and bucks from the new breedings since they will not be inbred to that doe yet. A much better start to a line than 4 generations of breeding buck offspring to the same doe and then selling them. In the meantime you can breed half pedigreed kits out of your other doe and sell them for less since it will take about 10-12months to get your 2 bucks from each generation to adulthood. Usually unpedigreed stuff sells $5 mutt, $10 purebred around here but you might get more out of good meat rabbit type stock and different areas vary.

It'll save you a year no matter how you do it. Turning unpedigreed stock in to pedigreed offspring is more of a side hobby/task when you have a few of that breed to work with because it takes so much time to get what you could in at least 10 less months and the same cost or less (think food and cage space) by buying another pedigreed rabbit. The only situation I'd really work at it would be the rare breeds that you can't get more pedigreed stock or pedigreed stock costs in the $100s.

Latest posts

Back