Question about lops and harle color pattern...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dove

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a couple of questions.

First, are lop ears dominant or recessive? If they are neither, can you explain it to me?

Second, I've been told that that tri-color and harlequin are technically the same pattern, except one comes in broken and the other is solid. Is this true? If it is true, why is it that tri-colors(brokens) are spotted or speckled, but harlequins(solid) are checkered or striped patterned.

Thanks for your help.
Dachshund genetics seems so much easier. Haha.

Welcome to the forum.

First, are lop ears dominant or recessive? If they are neither, can you explain it to me?
unfortunately lop ears are not a simple dominant or recessive trait. There are many genes involved and it really depends on the rabbits. But it does seem to be recessive as a lop crossed with a regular eared rabbit almost always has upright ears. However you can also have two Lops have kits with upright ears if they just are not a good match.
tri-color and harlequin are technically the same pattern, except one comes in broken and the other is solid. Is this true?
yes it is
why is it that tri-colors(brokens) are spotted or speckled, but harlequins(solid) are checkered or striped patterned.
because of the way the broken gene distributes colour on the coat.

Dove":199rqxe3 said:
Dachshund genetics seems so much easier. Haha.

Rabbit genetics is much more complicated than dog genetics, I quickly discovered that, lol. Coming from a dog breed that only recognizes 5 colors, with 3 only distinguished by rufus and pattern, then to rabbit breeds that have 15-32 colors/patterns, I found myself doing some extra studying. :shock: At least the genetic symbols are the same.

Latest posts

Back