Question about future breeding program

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting a trio of Am Chins this month. The breeder is going to breed one of the does to an unrelated buck to the three rabbits I'm getting. Any suggestions on the best future breeding program for these guys? Thanks. I'm pretty new at this and currently have some NZW jrs. I'm breeding for meat. The Chins I'm hoping to sell some of them.

On a small scale, there is only so much you can do. Don't worry about inbreeding/linebreeding... It's not a big deal with rabbits as long as the individuals involved are good to start with. Breed the best of the best... and sell or eat the rest. That way you will improve your stock over time. You may want to save a couple of rabbits from that unrelated breeding, just to keep those genetics in your herd.

tm_bunnyloft":1dencomn said:
What are your goals with them?
First meat rabbits.

But I'm hoping to sell some as breeders, perhaps meat pens, and show as well. I believe these are some rabbits with some good pedigrees that I am getting. So multi-purpose, but I am getting them to make money in sales to pay for the feed for the guys who will be supplying all the meat.

My only suggestion is to keep the one who grow fastest & get heaviest for breeding. I keep more does and very few bucks unless your herd sire is lacking and a son is better or if your going to show. I tend to show more bucks than does

If you plan to make money, then depending on where you live your best avenue for profit will probably be selling them to people who want breeders. For example, here in CA, I sell breeders for $60 to $150 each and whole processed rabbits for $9/lb. Considering you only have three, there is not much you can do. If you're selling to a clientele which is showing then you will want to produce rabbits that fit the ARBA standard the best. If you are selling to people what wish to raise meat rabbits then you will want to produce rabbits that have large litters, are good mothers, and get to fryer weight the quickest. Feel free to check out my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/FogCityRabbitry if you have other questions.

fogcity":2vsy3hha said:
For example, here in CA, I sell whole processed rabbits for $9/lb.

I sent you a pm with some questions regarding how you are going about that, since I would like to do the same. :yougotpm:

Latest posts

Back