Question about breeding New Zealand rabbits...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloChris

Reaction score
Question about breeding New Zealand rabbits.....I have read so many different things that say different ages you can start breeding. I've seen 4 months, 4.5, 6, 8, etc. Has anyone had experience breeding New Zealand's and at what age did you start breeding?

You hear so many ages because various people value different things. It applies to any breed and you'll find much the same ages and opinions for all commercial type breeds. Some lines have been bred to mature faster than others. Usually those used for meat or pelt will grow faster, breed sooner, and have larger litters than those mainly or only used for show because profit is more important. Related to that people have different experiences with their local sources of a breed so some will say it's not worth the effort of trying to breed before 5 or 6 months. Then there are those that think it's harmful and will stunt the doe to breed before absolutely 100% mature and done growing so they may wait 6-8 months. Others haven't seen proof of that. That's why if you vary your audience a little you'll get nearly as many answers as people who respond. So what is your goal and how soon have the breeder(s) you got your rabbits from been breeding?

Welcome Chris,

Good question for a first post.

Akane's correct. Depending upon the goals of others, you'll receive varied
replies. The goals for folks breeding for the show table are far different
than those that are breeding for the dinner table.

Personally, I've got a small 42 doe commercial NZW herd. First time mothers
are bred around 5-6 months old, depending upon their weight and behavior
at the time. I've found that young does a shade over 5 months weighing
eight pounds that readily stand for a buck will oftentimes be excellent brood
does.

With the strain that I work with, keeping them busy raising youngsters helps
with production and lessens their chances of becoming a "lazy" doe. Or, ones
that become lackadaisical when it comes to production. Once a doe has had
a barren period, it's tough to get them back into their routine. Again, these
are "my" does and I can only attest to what this strain will do under certain
circumstances. Other lines quite likely will respond differently to my methods.

A pic of my main breeding room holding 35 does and 7 bucks.
SANY0040.jpg

A pic of one side of my grow-out room.
SANY0043-1.jpg

Hope this helps.

Grumpy.

Welcome to RT, Chris!

I recently switched over from Dutch to NZ and I just got my first litter. I bred at five months, and got 11 kits. The doe is a trooper- great nest, feeding them all, no issues- and during the summer, no less.

If I'm not mistaken, I have seen you post on "another" forum, and you are breeding for meat. If that's the case, I see no reason to wait eight months, if the doe is good sized and healthy.

Chris,

Only "YOU" can determine your course of action. You can keep gathering
information until you "short-circuit" your hair-covered computer. Info is
a great tool.......but that's all it is....a "tool".

Sift through all that you've learned and make a Plan. Once that is completed,
stick to it until you discover a better, or easier method. Then gradually
adjust your operation to suit your desires. There are no "hard and fast" rules.
Only those that you're successful with. What may work for "me"...may
not work for you. No one on this site gives misinformation.

You can take that to the bank.

Grumpy.

Definitely depends on the breed and the line. I was originally in favor of later breeding, with the assumption that it was easier on the doe like it is with most mammals. Experience is teaching me otherwise. Does who are bred late are often the most difficult to get bred. Fat buildup around a doe's ovaries interferes with reproduction. You want to get those does bred before they get a chance to get fat.

A doe of mine who was accidentally bred the first time at 4 months ended up being an awesome mother and the best producer I have had thus far.

I've revised my philosophy to breed whenever they reach 8 lbs. BUT these mutts of mine are only expected to adult weights of 8-9 lbs. I wouldn't necessarily want to breed a doe who was expected to reach 12+ lbs at that size.

Latest posts

Back