Question about breeding dwarfs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We're you aware of peanuts and max factors before you started breeding dwarf varieties of rabbits?

• I was aware of these genetic mutations before I had a litter

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • I was not aware of these genetic mutations before I had a litter

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
I am (hopefully!) about to have my first litter of Jersey Woolys. I am aware of the mutations, but must admit I have a limited knowledge of how each presents itself.

I am counting on having the support and expert opinions of other breeders of dwarf breeds here on RT to evaluate the kits if I find problems.

I did not know because I got my first pair of Netherlands in 1993 when I was 12. I love the breed and have learned so much about breeding and genetics since then. :)

I have one ND doe in particular I stopped breeding when I got 3 different litters of 3 peanuts each I only ever got 2 healthy bunny's out of 6 total breeding's she is older though
(shes my avatar)

her daughter just gave me a litter of 5 with 1 peanut she is a true dwarf
and her first litter was of 3 but I think I soured her milk with a bit of apple cider vinegar and lost 2 and now totally understand why people just put down kits that fail to thrive

I was aware of the peanut/dwarf gene, but the Max factor is something I only discovered last month.
Fortunately I only have a false dwarf buck, and a (true?) dwarf doe right now, so I am not presently having to deal with any peanuts!
And I don't believe either carry the Max gene from my knowledge of their ancestry, but I could always be wrong...

Max factor is new to me, I know about peanuts though. I had a "oops" litter bettween a hotot x and a holland lop, she had 2 live kits and the next day she delivered a streched dead kit.

I'm old with bad memory so I don't know if I knew before hand or not.

I knew, but I do a lot of research before I get anything, especially genetics. I've had five litters from the holland and for the first time, I got a peanut.

I knew. :p I'm expecting my first two litters of Mini Rex in a couple of weeks. And since the buck and both does have such small build and such eeny tiny ears, I'm sure there's a risk of peanuts. But...worth the risk for the expectation of awesome they could make!!!

squidpop":3a3qpljh said:
Willow thanks for sharing the photos- I didn't know what max factor mf looked like, although I've read the term before. That must have been a shock.

You are welcome :) And YES, it was a shocked. I am not gonna lie.. it scared me to death looking in that nest and seeing the one with open eyes. I did end up with three beautiful babies out of that litter that appear normal ( although they do carry the MF gene). Raising rabbits is a learning experience for me... I LOVE to read up on them, and constantly learning new things.

Okay. I know this a a really old post but, I've been reading my way through the forums and
just had to say that I think this explains a Frank Zappa lyric I've been wondering about for decades.

Latest posts

Back