Qs about Chin and Satin breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaizarhiede

Reaction score
I'm new to bunnies and looking at the breeds I want to get.

I was thinking of getting Chins (I love their coloring) and Satins (for the shininess), but I'd truly love to mix them to make the pelts of the Chins even prettier.

I have a few questions about that situation.
Do Satins actually increase the shininess/change the pelt of Chins? I looked at the few pictures I can find, but they don't show well enough to see if there is a difference.
Can you breed a giant (chin) and medium (satin) size together? I'm guessing this is a no, but I just want confirmation on it.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Satin gene is simple recessive. If you breed a non-satin to a satin, it will just have normal fur. It won't be any more shiny that first generation and you'd have to breed back into satins to get that sheen back.
You can breed a giant chin and satin together imo. Satins are not medium rabbits. They can get to be about 11 lbs; only a pound or two smaller than a giant chin. Would still recommend using a giant chin as a doe, but neither breed is really known for having difficulties in birth

However
If you want something that is shiny and chinchilla
Satins do come in chinchilla color (and it's quite pretty). It would probably be easier to buy some chinchilla satins than it would be to try to make them yourself.
1628057433764.png1628057452753.png

Thank you for the info!

I didn't realize that Satins already had Chinchilla coloring possible (obviously). That makes everything a bit easier.

Back