PVC hutch frame?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! That looks like an excellent idea. Thanks, RJS! :)

RJSchaefer":1xdqjd8i said:
Wouldn't PVC get too brittle in cold temps, though?

Evidently, PVC loses some impact resistance in cold temperatures.

(See Precautions in the below link.)
http://www.vinidex.com.au/technote-pare ... lications/

That wouldn't be a problem here, but up north it might become one.

I had a dog teeter made with a pvc frame, it broke in the winter when my 20 pound dog decided to run across it. So I don't know if I would use that for rabbits in a place it will get cold. My luck, the rabbit would stomp and the whole thing would come crashing down :lol:

Wood would be a lot cheaper and less prone to being brittle, cracking, ect. At $1.30 a 2x2 by 8ft, there's little comparison. Even with paint to protect/seal it, I'd still go with wood.
Most of my plastic things, chicken waterers, bowls, scoops, etc, become very brittle and frail after a year. The Sun makes it more frail faster, too.

I made a chicken coop frame out of pvc 3 years ago, I used 1 inch schedule 80 the gray color pipe.
it was what I had laying around. it had survived sever cold and heat with out any problems.
I will have to give this a try, it is much lighter than wood, and will clean up a lot easier.

I can only hope it lasts better than most plastics!
I know our piping is cpvc and is a little younger than our house, which is 83 years old. It has a slight tenancy to crack and split when we were fixing and replacing parts. It's "softer" than pvc when cutting it.
I wouldn't trust pvc to hold up like wood, as in snow/rain load on a solid surface.
It'd be a mix and match thing for me, wood is heavy and cheap, but strong. Pvc is light, but pricier and weak.
Both are equally easy to work with, but one you get a lot more for the $ and is strong. But if you need something light, pvc is the way to go. Except, if you go with quonset style and wood on the bottom or even no bottom frame, it's a lot cheaper all together!

JessicaR":h005wjr3 said:
I had a dog teeter made with a pvc frame, it broke in the winter when my 20 pound dog decided to run across it. So I don't know if I would use that for rabbits in a place it will get cold. My luck, the rabbit would stomp and the whole thing would come crashing down :lol:
:eek: oh no!!

I was thinking it could be good to hybridize. The top of the frame of PVC to act as an auto-waterer. But if it gets that brittle, then having it filled with gallons and gallons of water would be BAD.

I'm still torn on what we're going to do overwinter. My gut is telling me this one will be a doozy, definitely NOT good for our first year farming.

I actually made these off the same directions a couple of years ago. I like how light weight they are, and cleaning them is easy. However, the glue did not hold after the first winter, and we had to screw the joints together. Also, my doors on the cages would not open when hung as directed. The pipe was too wide, and my doors hit at the top. I love that site for info, and they have had success with them, but I will be changing to something different next month, I hope.

Ive been to two rabbitries using these. They are very nice for the portability factor. I don't like the fact they take up more room, and I don't like the fact that they sway a bit. But, they were both being used for silver fox and did great. It doesn't get extremely cold here though either.

Back