PVC Hutch Bottoms?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rabbits by Accident

Reaction score
When I got my rabbits, they came with a couple of those nice large hutches made from closet shelving. I added 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth along with a lot of wooden platforms (which they don't even use LOL) so that the rabbit's feet are more comfy.

The wires on the bottom of the existing cage are 1" apart, now with 1/2"x1/2' over it. So the poop gets caught a LOT.

Reading through ideas, I came up with the idea to replace the bottom sections with a frame holding only the 1/2" hardware cloth. Wood has gotten very expensive and I have a lot of pvc laying around. What do you think of a pvc frame? It would not have to be structural, the remainder of the cage is plenty strong by itself.

There is a lip at the front and back that will support the frame. and I can put cross pieces as close or far apart as I want.

The overall size of the bottom of the cage is 30-36" deep (can't remember exactly) by 6' long.

How close together should I make the supports? I'm thinking every 18-24" going from front to back. And a frame around the perimeter.

Right now, the only hardware cloth I have is very light weight, so this all depends on A) if that wire will work without much support or B) how much heavier hardware cloth would cost.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Ridicule?

- Liz

Another thought - I have in previous projects, put a piece of wood within the pvc pipe that makes it VERY strong and not able to sag. That would probably be a good idea in this instance.

I have used 16ga and 14ga welded cage wire for floors with 7-10lb rabbits. I hope to never have to use the 16ga again. It falls apart and sags horribly and just overall wasn't enough support for my rabbits (these were 30x36x18 cages). I now have cages that have 14ga wire with metal floor supports, and those are working well. The floor supports are one in the 2x3' cages and two in the 2x4' cages. They don't sag much at all, which is good for rabbit feet. I don't know if hardware cloth would be able to stand much use; I wonder if it would pop apart at the welds? Books and websites typically warn pretty strongly away from using it (which is a bummer, since it is so widely available). If you were to use PVC for under it, it seems you might need it to be pretty close together to become the strength of the floor. I wonder if something more like every 8-10 inches would be needed? I had thought that maybe you could run smaller PVC pipes under the cage and then run a bigger, stronger one crosswise underneath that? That would provide extra strength like you mentioned doing with wood inside the pipes, but might be less expensive?

I think I would go with PVC before treated wood for the floor supports. PVC is so much easier to clean and keep the hair build up off of. I think wood could also keep more moisture right there for their feet to absorb? The PVC pipes are round, so the urine should run off of them and away from the rabbit better.

Were you able to look into heavier gauge hardware cloth? I have found welded cage wire for sale at some farm stores, but it is always the 16ga wire and the last two years it has been nearly impossible for any of the farm stores to get in.

@MuddyFarms That is all very interesting info - much food for thought. I was looking into wood, as I realized 1x2's aren't too expensive (yet) and easy to work with.

I need to find some heavier gauge hardware or cage wire. No idea where to look. - - Thanks for all the ideas!!

We use a lot of 2x2s since they're pretty inexpensive and yet have enough strength. 1x2s are pretty lightweight, but it all depends on how much weight they need to carry so depending on the design, they may work.

We find the 1/2" x 1" wire in a handy 30" wide x 10' long roll at our local Ikeuchi's & Sons (now granddaughters) Hardware, although I'm absolutely sure you don't have an Ikeuchi's near you since there's only the one. However, don't despair! The wire should also be available at Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Lowe's, Home DePot, etc.

Heavy duty staples can be used although the staples will probably rot out before the wire does. Otherwise, we use roofing nails - those really broad headed short nails - to attach the wire to the wood. You can also use long thin nails and bend the top half over the wire. I'm replacing some floor wire now and have realized there could have been a lot less nails used.

How about using turkey wire (2"x4", usually 12 ga) UNDER the lighter gauge - smaller opening wire? Frankly, I am having great success with PVC coated 14 ga wire in my hutches without any extra support. It is only secured at the edges using poultry staples.

How about using turkey wire (2"x4", usually 12 ga) UNDER the lighter gauge - smaller opening wire? Frankly, I am having great success with PVC coated 14 ga wire in my hutches without any extra support. It is only secured at the edges using poultry staples.
duh I came back here to ask you this and then commented on a bunch of random posts and left hahahah

Ok, now that I have remembered my purpose (in the short term) Question: I just ordered this stuff (thank you) and need to also buy the support framing wood. How far apart are your supports? Are you saying that your very large cages have no cross supports? Only the perimeter?

Also, what are poultry staples? Can you actually staple chickens? I don't think mine would care for that, actually :)

Thanks for all info!!!!

I have cross supports every 4 feet. Poultry staples aka fencing staples are heavy gauge U shaped staples that you hammer in. Each section has 2 stretches of wire joined using J clips. The framing is all 1.5" x 1.5" that I ripped from standard 2x4s.

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_114641.jpg
    IMG_20210710_114641.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210710_114756.jpg
    IMG_20210710_114756.jpg
    451.6 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back