Pus covering both eyes???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
My doe that has been troubling me kindled a totally unexpected litter last night. She was due almost two weeks ago so yeh, a bit unexpected.

As she was making a nest at feeding time I thought, yeh, phantom pregnancy and gave her bedding to play with to keep her happy.

Found the kits scattered through the nest this morning and managed to save them all so yay.

However, after sorting the kits out, warming them up and using my emergency fur to make them a proper nest I looked at the doe.....

She looked totally blind!!! Both of her eyes were like white marbles. :shock: She was her new normal self, hungry for her morning greens and grumbling and grunting at both me and the buck she was living with - have now sectioned her off into the back half of the cage with her kits as he was trying to sit in the nest box. :roll:

When I caught her up into the football hold to move her round to the back half of the cage one of the scums across her eye rubbed loose and was a bunch of gunk, still across the eye but no longer looking blind, just mucky. The other eye still looks blind but now at least I know it is not inside the eye.

I know something is wrong with her, she is getting steadily worse in her behavior but her body condition remains super. Now she is trying to bite, not a jumping biting at me bite but a slow sneak up and bite so at least I can see her coming. With no does to foster this litter I am praying she cares for them, unlike her last attempt.

Has anyone had anything like this eye thing and what should I do for her?

Will do a honey and water eye wash after my tea but it would be easier if she was nice to work with. :roll:

Hi GBov. It sounds like an eye infection similar to a bad case of nest-box eye. Do you have any Terramycin Ophthalmic Ointment, or something similar? I found some on eBay (quite a few years ago now) for under $10, but I can't remember how long it took for it to arrive.

A water and honey wash should help, but be very careful not to rub the eyelid. Chamomile or black tea with honey should be even better.

The eye problem should not affect her ability to raise the kits, but it might account for her irritability. Keep the nest ultra-clean, change the bedding completely at nine days just before the kits open their eyes, and hope they don't catch it from her.

That's all I can think of just now, but I'll keep an eye on this thread. :good-luck:

Thank you MagieJ!

I will save a teabag for later. Did the honey and water wash and got the gunk out, it seemed to have lots of fur in it. Weird. The eye looks good, the eyelid a bit red on both sides but not too bad.

For washing the eye out I used a small square of rabbit fur as it is softer than anything else I might have and it worked a treat.

She was no fun at all to doctor. :roll:

Will have a look through my lotions and potions to see if I have any eye cream, it is ringing a bell.

I find most rabbits (and cats) very uncooperative about "doctoring" and especially about nail trims. They make cat grooming bags and also masks that are supposed to help. I see no reason they could not be used for rabbits as well.

Has anybody here ever tried one?
https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+res ... SlcMVsjbhM:

MaggieJ":2uhj63cp said:
I find most rabbits (and cats) very uncooperative about "doctoring" and especially about nail trims. They make cat grooming bags and also masks that are supposed to help. I see no reason they could not be used for rabbits as well.

Has anybody here ever tried one?
https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+res ... SlcMVsjbhM:

When I held her I felt no mammary swelling and the kits are not fed yet. I have a doe due inside of the next two days but unless I am wrong and she has milk, they are not going to make it. :cry:

Her eyes are mostly clear, some gunk in the corners but not much.

It would be a shame to lose them, GBov, especially with the other doe so close to kindling. You could try Homer's updated hand-feeding recipe, just to tide them over until the second doe kindles. That's assuming she doesn't feed them overnight. I'd wait until morning and then check the kits.

updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html

They look fed! And her eyes look just fine. Have my fingers and toes crossed it keeps going well!

MaggieJ":hevirdzh said:
That's great news, GBov!
:congratulations:

Still touch and go as she doesn't seem to have enough milk but so far they are getting enough to survive. Gosh I hope the second doe kindles tonight!!!

Her eyes are fine today. :D

MaggieJ":145gu5h5 said:
Her milk supply will likely improve, but having the other doe kindle would certainly improve their chances. Glad the doe's eyes have improved . . . makes me wonder what happened.

The only thing I could think of was she was making her nest with her eyes wide open and covered them in fur? Weird but am glad they are good now.

Kits still alive! <br /><br /> -- Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:34 pm -- <br /><br /> Roller coaster anyone? Checked the kits early this morning and they were empty and weak. Que great sadness and depression on my part as the other doe has not kindled and there was no way on Earth I could buy the stuff needed for the milk replacer.

Late this evening I went to take the dead things out cause I just knew they would be dead and damned if she hadn't fed them all and they were doing great! :shock:

Two of them still smaller than the rest but all much stronger and I think, if she keeps it up, they might just make it after all. :D

MaggieJ":3jfy1ml7 said:
Hang in there, GBov! The doe seems determined to drive you crazy :pullhair: but maybe she's got it figured out now. Hope so! She's put you through enough drama to last the rest of her life.

Perhaps her new name should be Drama Queen? :lol:

One kit dead this morning but the remaining 5 look great.

Back