Purina Professional pellets any good?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Before looking for a forum I saw 17 to 18 percent protein was ideal for meat rabbits since they grow big fast. Now I see its low in fat so I added 50 percent of another feed 16 percent protein and 3 grams fat.
Is that too much protein for all life cycles of my rabbits? Should I ditch the feed?

My opinion,
High fat diets promote faster growth in young rabbits, as does higher protein content.

The takeaway is-- high protein levels in adult rabbit feed, "sometimes" causes issues,.. like bladder sludge
** before you get too concerned about cloudy, or colored urine - let me say some of this is completely normal..
The problematic signs are urine that "consistently"looks like thick milk, has a creamy consistency, or is like paste in bad cases.
[not enough water is also a big factor in cloudy or overly concentrated urine]

Too much fat in "non lactating" adult rabbits diet is problematic, as adult rabbits store internal fat readily .
Too much internal fat causes a wide range of health and breeding problems..

In my opinion, the foremost concern about Purina feeds is.. non standardised feed formulas,
IE: the feed content is constantly changing...
This sudden feed change, causes mysterious GI issues, that often instigate "off feed", loose stools, infections, and coccidiosis outbreaks.
Because "you" didn't change feeds, you are not looking this way, when you begin to see GI issues..
To remedy this concern, always buy feed before you run out, and mix some of the new feed
into the old feed, to create/insure a gradual feed change.

The other important thing to watch for [for any feed] is old feed -
[especially important in the summer, and in warm climates]
Always check the manufacturer date, on the label ..
Never buy a bag of feed missing the label..
any feed that has a manufacturer date, more than 2 months old is suspect,
[ smell it and make sure it still smells fresh,
and never feed anything with bugs on or in the bag, or dust coming out of it when you move it.[as this dust is often mold]
any feed that is 3 months old or older, is dangerous to feed to rabbits.
The fat in old feed is rancid.
Old feed,contains ever increasing levels of mold toxins, Rabbits are very intolerant of mold toxin.
Mold toxin is fatal in rabbits , with levels that are far less than ,what is dangerous for any other domestic animal.

michaels4gardens":urkgb4cn said:
My opinion,
High fat diets promote faster growth in young rabbits, as does higher protein content.

The takeaway is-- high protein levels in adult rabbit feed, "sometimes" causes issues,.. like bladder sludge
** before you get too concerned about cloudy, or colored urine - let me say some of this is completely normal..
The problematic signs are urine that "consistently"looks like thick milk, has a creamy consistency, or is like paste in bad cases.
[not enough water is also a big factor in cloudy or overly concentrated urine]

Too much fat in "non lactating" adult rabbits diet is problematic, as adult rabbits store internal fat readily .
Too much internal fat causes a wide range of health and breeding problems..

In my opinion, the foremost concern about Purina feeds is.. non standardised feed formulas,
IE: the feed content is constantly changing...
This sudden feed change, causes mysterious GI issues, that often instigate "off feed", loose stools, infections, and coccidiosis outbreaks.
Because "you" didn't change feeds, you are not looking this way, when you begin to see GI issues..
To remedy this concern, always buy feed before you run out, and mix some of the new feed
into the old feed, to create/insure a gradual feed change.

The other important thing to watch for [for any feed] is old feed -
[especially important in the summer, and in warm climates]
Always check the manufacturer date, on the label ..
Never buy a bag of feed missing the label..
any feed that has a manufacturer date, more than 2 months old is suspect,
[ smell it and make sure it still smells fresh,
and never feed anything with bugs on or in the bag, or dust coming out of it when you move it.[as this dust is often mold]
any feed that is 3 months old or older, is dangerous to feed to rabbits.
The fat in old feed is rancid.
Old feed,contains ever increasing levels of mold toxins, Rabbits are very intolerant of mold toxin.
Mold toxin is fatal in rabbits , with levels that are far less than ,what is dangerous for any other domestic animal.
Thanks! Okay so since my doe is not and has never been pregnant yet maybe I should mix in more purina that has less fat. I did check the label and they are both good but didn't think about the expired being dangerous. Good to know.

I was going to give black oil sunflower seeds to for the coat but being summer time I hear that's too much fat so I stopped that.

Once the bag is almost gone I will find a better brand and mix it. That's not right if they keep changing it.

Back