Pumpkin?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMR

Reaction score
I posted on another board asking about if pumpkin was safe to feed rabbits, know to use little at a time, but just got the why would you even do that and not a straight answer. So can I feed pumpkins from my garden that are left over from canning? I have searched and read seeds are okay and processed is used at times bur Im not going tobuy cans of it when we have extra whole ones. Also wondering are the vines safe too? Are there certain kinds that are not ok?

Thanks in advance,
SMR

The entire pumpkin is perfectly safe and actually something you don't have to be too careful feeding because of the high fiber content. It's often fed to other animals to solve digestive tract problems and has little potential for upset. That said if you have animal who has never had fresh foods always start with a small amount just in case.

Technically the vine is not toxic but all members of the cucumber family have the potential to store an unsafe level of nitrogen in the greens depending on growing conditions. It's probably best to not feed the greens from cucumber, zuchini, squash, or pumpkin.

akane- Zukes, squsah and pumpkin are ALL squashes!!!
The seeds are supposed to be anti parasitic in nature, so dry them and feed a few every couple weeks to act as an intestinal wormer. Seeds, of any plant, by their very makeup, are high energy sources. So do not over feed seeds-- the flesh of the 'fruit' helps even things out in the long run.

I know but other people don't always realize that which is why I mention them individually. Technically you should call them all cucumbers not all squashes because the family is referred to as cucumber famly.

akane":2o1eduhu said:
I know but other people don't always realize that which is why I mention them individually. Technically you should call them all cucumbers not all squashes because the family is referred to as cucumber famly.

Cucerbits The three sisters-- corn, beans, and cucerbits!!! There is a 'fourth sister' that seldom gets used-- can't remember which one it is though--probably a salad green type thing..

mommaebear":2yn4z3s6 said:
Onion family is bad too
Most definitely-- BAD!!Onions, and even garlic (another allium) cause heinz bodies- which limit the oxygen carrying capacity of the red blood cells,, stiffen the RBCs, and even cause the RBCs to 'explode' So, if you want to suffocate your bun- play ignorant, and feed them onions..

Latest posts

Back