Proteolytic enzymes for wool block - urban legend?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathleen

Reaction score
A poster on HT stated that there are no enzymes that break down a wool block in Angoras, whereas my breeder told me to use papaya extract tablets occasionally as a preventative and slightly diluted pineapple juice in case of a block. (Per her program, I feed my English Angoras pellets in the morning and oats in the evening, with free-choice hay available 24/7.)

Does anyone know, definitively, whether papain and bromelain are effective against wool block, or am I adding an unnecessary expense? (I do understand that some of you believe that a tendency toward block is genetic and those rabbits prone to it should not be bred. I have not had to maker that kind of culling decision yet.)

Also, IF these enzymes are effective and there were an incidence where I was inclined to use them, does anyone know if there are temperate climate equivalents of papaya and pineapple? I'm trying for as much on-farm sufficiency as possible, and neither of those fruits grows very well in northwestern Illinois :)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Kathy

Ahhh Hi! That was probably me. Here is a website link, you have to scroll down to the woolblock part. Read what she says and the follow her link to the vet's article. This lady is very knowledgable and it falls into place with things I have learned/observed.http://www.lilachaven.net/Care.htm This link contains a link to a vets article which was published for the House Rabbit Society I think, The HRS is somewhat anti-pellet but the info is solid.I think this is a situation where yes someone gave pineapple on a reg. basis and somehow associated that fact with a lack of woolblock. Yes there may also be a genetic component, ie easily stressed therefore stops eating, drinking etc.In the end, I guess ,it comes down to REALLY knowing your rabbits and whats going on in their enviroment that will affect them. Perhaps the fact that some rabbits just love eating papaya or pineapple IS enought to keep things moving properly? I am sure you have an equivilant food/treat available that would stimulate a healthy appetite. i also think this is why there are so many varied opions on feeding rabbits, because what works for one rabbit may not work for another's rabbit.Most vets will recommend favourite greens for a rabbit not eating well because of the high moisture content which is esential to gut motility

ps check out this ladys website she has some nice rabbits!! :D

That was really an informative read, Lauren - thank you for taking the time to post.

The vet's take on wool block is really common sense and straight forward. As I said, I haven't had to deal with it. I was, I think, crediting the preventative papaya extract tablets, but it seems more likely that the hay and oats and/or good genetics are the real reason. Nice to know that I can stop making a special trip to the pet store for the tablets :)

On the greens issue: the breeder had said that fresh greens would stain and spoil the rabbits' coats. She, however, is showing, but I'm just spinning my little heart out. For spinning, I only save the wool from the backs and sides, so stained facial furnishings (other than adding to the general silliness of the looks of an Angora) won't really be a problem for me. Looks like I'll have to share my greens!

Thank you again.

Kathy

If you feed a grassy type hay (timothy, etc.) you won't have problems with wool block with the angoras. Riverpines told me she's never had a problem and has been breeding fiber angoras for decades. She also feeds huge amounts of timothy type hay. My guys have always been fine. The consensus on the angora groups I'm on is the same. If you feed hay, you don't need the papaya. Won't hurt...but you don't really need it. If your source of rabbits says to use it...I'd keep some around...she may well have problems in her strain. BUT, if she's showing, it's not likely that she feeds a lot of hay?

Greens will not stain their coats. They don't stand in the stuff, nor roll around in it. they eat it. I have 1 white buck and 2 white youngsters who all get greens every day. (right now it's romaine, parsley and turnip greens). The youngsters are in a colony setting. No one ever has a stain on them.

Again, RiverPines feeds free choice greens every 3rd day on her farm...and she's been doing that for decades, too. Her rabbits actually get an armful in the cage, so if they wanted to, they COULD lay down in it..but she's had no problems.

LOL about the staining.. we fed some carrots to a mini rex doe once and when I checked later, her entire face was orange!! She must have enjoyed herself and the staining went away quickly!! I guess it's "moderate" amounts of anything that works best.The point to all this is that your rabbit enjoys eating whatever is choosen for him, and regular grooming :)

Latest posts

Back