Profiting from Rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseywoolynewbie

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently acquired 3 Californian sisters from my friends failed meat pen. I so far intend on breeding them to for my own meat pen as well as a one for other friends. I would like to breed them prior to then but I don’t want to be left with a whole bunch of babies. I also would like to not slaughter them, although I could if push comes to shove. I am looking for any tips on selling the kits and any other tips about raising meat rabbits and meat pens. Thanks!!!

Depending on where you live you can send the offspring to the processor and sell the rabbit meat. I wouldn't suggest trying to sell them as pets and you have to time your breeding to sell to 4H kids. 4Hers need rabbits at a certain age for their work. IF you are fortunate and find the right person you could quite likely find someone wanting just what you are offering.

I didn’t really intend on getting them. I am in 4h and I was intending on using the kits for mine and my brothers meat pen so I know when I need to breed and what not. I live in north eastern Wyoming and I’m currently looking for processors but it’s kinda tricky. I think if I have my dad cull then I should be able to do the actual processing myself. What do I do with the intestines and pelt?

Last edited:
I didn’t really intend on getting them. I am in 4h and I was intending on using the kits for mine and my brothers meat pen so I know when I need to breed and what not. I live in north eastern Wyoming and I’m currently looking for processors but it’s kinda tricky. I think if I have my dad cull then I should be able to do the actual processing myself. What do I do with the intestines and pelt?
if you have chickens, feed the intestines to them. The pelts you can tan, roll and freeze and sell to someone who wants to tan, cut into strips and dehydrate as dog treats, or toss them out. Some bury them in their compost if it's set away from the house.

Go to you tube and watch videos. You will learn most everything you need to know. Why do you call them meat pens? Just curious.
At our youth livestock sale, a meat pen is three rabbits that weigh between 3 and 5 pounds. It’s pretty much just what you sell at the youth live stock sale through 4-h

At our youth livestock sale, a meat pen is three rabbits that weigh between 3 and 5 pounds. It’s pretty much just what you sell at the youth live stock sale through 4-h
Oh I see. When I was young we had girls and boys 4-H. We had ponies and that was for boys only. Me and my best friend had to worm our way in so we could show our ponies. The boys treated us awful and we had to sit in the back at meetings etc. We were so shy I'm surprised we did it but we did. I'm new to rabbits and have my first litter and will probably use them for meat. They are so pretty but a girl has to do what a girl has to do!!l Just be careful with those sharp knives. I think once we do two we will be pros at it

Oh I see. When I was young we had girls and boys 4-H. We had ponies and that was for boys only. Me and my best friend had to worm our way in so we could show our ponies. The boys treated us awful and we had to sit in the back at meetings etc.
I bet that sucked

Back