Produce own hay to boost protein

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliehooks

Reaction score
Only real available pellets around my area is 16% and with my rabbits first pregnancy I'm noticing a slight loss in condition which I'd like to avoid.

Playing the idea of growing and bailing my own hay from an unused garden and I'm wondering what would be the best mix of forages I'm thinking alfalfa Timothy and red clover then feeding as a mix almost like a tmr mix
Thoughts from anyone more experienced?

I can't help you with types, but I find that when I trim some of the neglected corners of the homestead with a string trimmer, if I collect that after it dries (from a few hours to a day) and let it dry further in shelter if necessary, it makes a nice hay. The lawn mower (like most modern mowers) chops the grass up too much, so for me, only the trimmer works. I think you could use whatever kind of grass you already have for now, as your rabbit seems to need it now. I'll leave it to others with more knowledge to suggest varieties for a new patch of more excellent nutritional value.

I do have a tip for growing new grass, though, in case you weren't already aware. It's very important to lightly cover the seeds to give them a bit of shade. I use baled straw, but you could really use anything similar as long as it doesn't contain unwanted seeds. I can't get it to start well at all without doing that.

I am not sure what the best mix would be, although the timothy, alfalfa, red clover are all good hays for rabbits. The only thing I could think of that would need to be determined would be how much of each to feed kits vs adults.

If your doe is losing condition while on a litter, you can start feeding her some black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS) and rolled oats. You'll want to introduce those slowly so she can get used to them, but they are excellent for helping a doe maintain condition. BOSS has around 40% fat and also a good amount of protein. Both the BOSS and rolled oats will help increase her milk production as well.

So I found hay that has alfalfa Timothy and red clover in it. If I feed it to the does now while they're nursing does that mean the kits will be able to eat it too after weaning?

So I found hay that has alfalfa Timothy and red clover in it. If I feed it to the does now while they're nursing does that mean the kits will be able to eat it too after weaning?

Yes. Kits usually find it easier to start nibbling on hay as their first solid foods, and then they start eating pellets (getting them started on hay before pellets is also supposed to help their gut transition easier and help avoid diarrhea). So you can put some of the hay in the nest box for them and just keep feeding it to the kits and mom the whole time. Then continue feeding the hay to the kits after weaning them out to keep their diet stable.

Only real available pellets around my area is 16% and with my rabbits first pregnancy I'm noticing a slight loss in condition which I'd like to avoid.

Playing the idea of growing and bailing my own hay from an unused garden and I'm wondering what would be the best mix of forages I'm thinking alfalfa Timothy and red clover then feeding as a mix almost like a tmr mix
Thoughts from anyone more experienced?
Like your idea, thinking along the same line, may grow extra to sell as well.

Careful to keep the ratio of alfalfa and clover down, they're great in low ratio, but they can get too much calcium from alfalfa, and too much clover will give them gas. The more variety you plant, the better

Back