Preparing nest box ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nkloft

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering when you place the nest box in the hutch few days before the doe is due. Do you place the hay in the nest box, and make it ready for her ? Or do you place the hay in hutch and let her do it herself ?
Thank you advance

Put the nestbox in on day 28 or when she starts wearing a haystache, whichever is sooner. I put a couple of inches of shavings in the box and fill it with straw. The doe will rearrange it to her liking, it doesn't hurt to give her straw outside the box either.

Nestbox preparation also depends on time of year. In the cold months you want to provide more bedding, less in the hot months.

In winter I will put a couple inches of pine shavings in the bottom of the box, sometimes with shredded brown paper bags that I put through our document shredder. I then put a lot of grass hay and straw into the box, and give the doe even more outside of the box to gather up and add to it.

Straw is a good bedding material for several reasons. It is very slick, so urine will drain well from it, it is hollow so retains warm air within it, and it is stiff enough to give the nest "structural integrity" so it doesn't get mashed down.

Once the doe kindles, remove the box so you can check the kits over. Remove damp or bloody bedding and any placentas or dead kits that the doe did not eat. I like to put pelleted pine horse bedding or wood stove pellets underneath the nest "bowl" to absorb urine, making sure to cover it with the hay or straw. Some people have concerns with the pelleted pine since it becomes fine sawdust when damp, but I have never had any problems with it.

Good luck with your kits. I hope you get a nice healthy litter!

Ditto on MSD's post:

Pack plenty of material in the box during cold weather. Pack it tight!! Mama will arrange it the way she wants. I usually bore a small handsized hole into the material near the back of the box. Hopefully, they'll use that and deliver the kits after she's lined the hole with hair.

During the summer, save some of that extra hair in a plastic coffee can with a lid. It'll come in handy on cold days when some does don't pull as much hair as you think they should. I used some the other night. Handy to have on hand when you need it.

grumpy.

What about weather in the mid 60's to mid 70's? Straw good then too? That's what I gave my doe yesterday so heres hoping that the babies won't be too hot.

Latest posts

Back