Pregnant horse.... Maybe????

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm_bunnyloft

Reaction score
I had a GELDING her for a short while but since he was an idiot with my mares I gave him away to a friend of a friend. Now she text me today to inform me she had his testosterone levels tested and he is Cryptorchid. Oh Great!!! so the mare I just sold and the 2 I still have may just be bred by this crazy yet beautiful Thoroughbred "Gelding"....

Now since he is crypt he may very well be sterile so do I spend the money to have the girls pregnancy tested or do I just sit back and see if I get any foals next May? I am actually sitting back thinking about how his genetics could improve upon my mares. And the possibilities are wonderful actually. The big problem is that the one likely to be bred is only 3 years old and at 15.3 hands she is still growing and a hard keeper at that. I'm not so sure that having a foal is in her best interest.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

NOw I asked the girl if the vet ultrasounded or palpated for a testicle or if it was just a blood test in which case it could just be an over active adrenal gland. But no answer as of yet.

We had every last mare bred by a cryptorchid and for winter foals too. Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb we had foals. It really sucked. I did get a really nice pinto out of that paint stallion and my large poa though.

Spend the money and get them pregnancy tested. At this point, if you decide that you really would rather they NOT carry the genes from the TB, you're still at a point where your vet can do something to stop the pregnancy. At this point the fetus is tiny and super-undeveloped, so it'd be a lot easier on the mare than if you choose to wait.

From what I've read, if you choose to go that route you can have the vet "pinch" the fetus by hand, or administer Lutalyse/prostaglandin injections- just be SURE you don't want to breed them this year, as it seems mares that go through these treatments won't cycle again for another three months.

I dont think I would abort the baby. He is an amazing horse and she is a very nice mover. I think he would really enhance her genetically. So I guess we will will just wait and see. I only got rid of him because he was acting so studly with my mares. I was worried this was the case and now I know. I will watch the mares closely and have the vet out next month when it will be more likely to get a for sure answer. They would only be about 30 days now.

TM, I do AI for a local ranch, and we wait until day 42 for the second ultrasound. Up until that point, the embryo is free-floating, but by day 42 implantation has occurred. I would recommend doing the 42 day check in case there are twins. The vet may be able to crush one if they are implanted far enough apart, otherwise you just hope that the larger embryo "takes over". However, of the several cases of twins that I have seen crushed in donkeys, only once did the uncrushed twin survive.

Good luck! I hope your mare is pregnant- who doesn't love the occasional surprise? :D

Keep in mind that being cryptorchid is genetic so any male foals may also be cryptorchid, and their foals after them and so on....not a great trait to pass on, if you sell the offspring you may want to let the future buyers know, mares can pass the tendancy on to thier foals as well as stallions.......

Of course. If I end up with a foal I would keep it. And if it were a stud colt I would have the surgery. And I do believe she was just in heat so I think we are ok.

Latest posts

Back