Pregnant doe trying to burrow in colony set up

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernnevadahollandlops

Reaction score
Morning all! I have a doe who is about 21-25 days on her second pregnancy (unsure as she was with the buck for a few days). We have a colony set up with access to the whole of our backyard most of the time. Her first pregnancy she made a lovely nest in the upper compartment of her hutch. I have filled it with hay and bedding, but she seems uninterested and this time she is digging all over our yard. I don't want to lock her up in her hutch as she has an older litter that is in process of weaning, but thinking maybe I should limit her access to just around her hutch? Maybe I'm just thinking aloud here, but would love any advice. My husband bis of the mentality that we should let nature take it's course, I'm on the other end of the spectrum and want to control the whole process.

It's normal behaviour to prepare nest tunnels, some does have that instinct, others less. I consider the digging a healthy workout. But I would not let her kindle in a tunnel.

Only danger is flooding if your colony is on low ground. If she has her litter underground, she'll seal the entrance with soil only to return for nursing. If you have more than one buck, they'll all take a shot at her after she gives birth. Also you won't be able to see the kits till after 3 weeks.

Thank you! Yes, we have another doe that has kindled in a nest tunnel twice now and it is not as fun nor controllable, as they pop out around three weeks. We try to keep our buck separate, but he is determined and as of yet seemed to get out of everything we put him in. Adding another latch to his hutch today.

It's normal behaviour to prepare nest tunnels, some does have that instinct, others less. I consider the digging a healthy workout. But I would not let her kindle in a tunn

Well, I know what a determined buck can do, of the 6 litters last year 4 were not planned - I'm doing better now, more discipline, a solid routine and additional latches that snap closed when the door shuts, so when the manual latch doesn't engage properly the door keeps shut.

Nesting tunnel, well, I let my girls dig, Chantal prepared a 2m long nest tunnel weeks in advance without me noticing, closed up the entrance and reopened it just in time - it was quite some work to dig up the nest without dropping anything on it and transfer it into the nestbox in the hutch. Entrance was at the right upper corner of the first pic.

Attachments

• Chantal Nest1.jpg
    Chantal Nest1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Chantal Nest2.jpg
    Chantal Nest2.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 11
Thank you! Yes, we have another doe that has kindled in a nest tunnel twice now and it is not as fun nor controllable, as they pop out around three weeks. We try to keep our buck separate, but he is determined and as of yet seemed to get out of everything we put him in. Adding another latch to his hutch today.
My bunny is 26 days pregnant I think she built a nest at day 20 I don't feel movement so I'm not sure she is pregnant

Well, I know what a determined buck can do, of the 6 litters last year 4 were not planned - I'm doing better now, more discipline, a solid routine and additional latches that snap closed when the door shuts, so when the manual latch doesn't engage properly the door keeps shut.

Nesting tunnel, well, I let my girls dig, Chantal prepared a 2m long nest tunnel weeks in advance without me noticing, closed up the entrance and reopened it just in time - it was quite some work to dig up the nest without dropping anything on it and transfer it into the nestbox in the hutch. Entrance was at the right upper corner of the first pic.
They are amazing animals!

Latest posts

Back