Predator or Pest?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
About two days ago I went out to check my rabbits and my REW Doe Butterball's door hinge was broke. What I mean is the clip thingy holding the hinge together was broke and the hinge itself was bent. There was also something that had obviously pushed the wire in somewhere I didn't realize wasn't stapled *I bought these cages from someone else not realizing how terrible they were. (They came with my 6 SF)* So we fixed all the unstapled places and anywhere the wire was able to be pulled off the wood (Not many places and not even big enough for a snake of places) We also screwed her door onto her cage. The buck in the cage next to her is black so I doubt whatever it is saw him in the dark, that or it didn't care. She's ok I'm just curious as to what it is. I'll be looking into a trap and I'll try to trap it. Any ideas as to what it may be? Should I be worried? We think it's a raccoon, but I'm not sure..

My bet is that it was a raccoon. We had a raccoon tear off the air vent at the peak just below the roof line in a coop! He climbed in that way but couldn't get back out, so yeah, we know it was a raccoon!

Coons.. dogs... doesn't really matter. It may be hard to trap due to size. I've had coons that didn't fit in coon traps. I would have had to get a coyote size trap. Both will break and bend anything and you are lucky if they stop there. They can rip off staples unless you are talking hammered in fencing staples. Also even if you secure the wire people have had rabbits eaten through the wire. I've had coons pull quail out of 1x1 wire piece by piece until nothing is left but feathers and blood. Rabbits generally aren't dismantled to that extent but they will take off toes and such if you don't put a 2nd piece of wire as a barrier below your floors. Other smaller things will also do it.

Oh wow. I will definitely be looking into a trap of some sort asap. I did use the fencing staples to hammer them in. I know it's not a coyote because it couldn't have got over the fence. So that means it has to be a raccoon and I need to figure out what I'm gonna do tomorrow. No later. We're going to wrap the old wire round the bottom and staple it on there. That hopefully will stop it. If not more serious action will be taken. I do plan to go out there and spray the perimeter with vinegar because I've heard they dislike the smell

Back