Possible injury?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So tonight I went out to feed my rabbits and the one in the middle has blood in her cage on a ceramic tile. I have been introducing fresh greens into their diets so at first I thought it was her pee being red from pigments, however none of the other rabbits had this, but then I looked below the cage and it looked like a possible clot? It was a lot of blood for a little rabbit.. and she is acting completely normal, hopping around, eating , drinking water. I checked her paws and it doesn’t look like she got cut from what I can see( I’ll check in the morning) I tried breeding her this week so maybe it’s a miscarriage? I’m new to this so I’m not really sure what a miscarriage in a rabbit would look like. I will post pictures. Do rabbits go into heat? Because if they do then the blood would make sense. I’m looking for any answers and please be kind, thank you!

Attachments

• B1747E74-C19F-47B0-AE7C-5A693ADA58F2.png
    B1747E74-C19F-47B0-AE7C-5A693ADA58F2.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 3D9F06E0-3FCE-4395-8810-F489D2DCAD84.png
    3D9F06E0-3FCE-4395-8810-F489D2DCAD84.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 11231D03-018C-4923-9938-7DDEB2B0D6D4.png
    11231D03-018C-4923-9938-7DDEB2B0D6D4.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 9DAF45F2-7B6E-4EB7-9DDF-46656C2B7F7B.png
    9DAF45F2-7B6E-4EB7-9DDF-46656C2B7F7B.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • BEBD7E86-642E-4E57-9A1D-E3B2E7C5AF83.png
    BEBD7E86-642E-4E57-9A1D-E3B2E7C5AF83.png
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 17CC4F6F-AD2A-477E-9585-D0CC67B0A30D.png
    17CC4F6F-AD2A-477E-9585-D0CC67B0A30D.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
So tonight I went out to feed my rabbits and the one in the middle has blood in her cage on a ceramic tile. I have been introducing fresh greens into their diets so at first I thought it was her pee being red from pigments, however none of the other rabbits had this, but then I looked below the cage and it looked like a possible clot? It was a lot of blood for a little rabbit.. and she is acting completely normal, hopping around, eating , drinking water. I checked her paws and it doesn’t look like she got cut from what I can see( I’ll check in the morning) I tried breeding her this week so maybe it’s a miscarriage? I’m new to this so I’m not really sure what a miscarriage in a rabbit would look like. I will post pictures. Do rabbits go into heat? Because if they do then the blood would make sense. I’m looking for any answers and please be kind, thank you!
I agree, that doesn't really look like red pee, especially under the cage. I don't really see a clot either, but it does look like blood.

Rabbits don't go into heat. They do have a cycle during which they are more or less receptive, but they are induced ovulators, meaning breeding behavior induces ovulation, so they do not have a mentrual cycle like some other mammals. As far as I know, you would not see a miscarriage within a few days of breeding.

It was smart to check her paws; how closely did you look? Could it have been a torn toenail that she's since cleaned up? (Maybe you already did, but if not, look at her toenails to see if one's shorter than the others.) Did you give her a thorough once-over to see if she got a cut anywhere else? Was she senstive about being touched anywhere in particular?

If she's acting normally and eating and drinking, I'd just watch her closely. Your cage bottom wire looks pretty good for protection, but there's always a chance some kind of predator got at her, or maybe the rabbit next door did something through the chicken wire?

I didn’t look
I agree, that doesn't really look like red pee, especially under the cage. I don't really see a clot either, but it does look like blood.

Rabbits don't go into heat. They do have a cycle during which they are more or less receptive, but they are induced ovulators, meaning breeding behavior induces ovulation, so they do not have a mentrual cycle like some other mammals. As far as I know, you would not see a miscarriage within a few days of breeding.

It was smart to check her paws; how closely did you look? Could it have been a torn toenail that she's since cleaned up? (Maybe you already did, but if not, look at her toenails to see if one's shorter than the others.) Did you give her a thorough once-over to see if she got a cut anywhere else? Was she senstive about being touched anywhere in particular?

If she's acting normally and eating and drinking, I'd just watch her closely. Your cage bottom wire looks pretty good for protection, but there's always a chance some kind of predator got at her, or maybe the rabbit next door did something through the chicken wire?
I could have looked closer, I will do that when I cut her nails. I’ve been nervous about getting scratched since I have cuts galore from my buck. I’ve been petting her body,head, ears and watching closely and it doesn’t look like she’s cut on her body or I’d have blood on my hands. I think I’m going to change the order that the rabbits are in and put the buck in the middle as a buffer. That’s a good idea I didn’t even think about. Maybe the ladies were getting territorial. Thank you I will keep y’all updated.

I figured it out! One of her nails got ripped out of her paw. It’s very swollen. What do I do?

I figured it out! One of her nails got ripped out of her paw. It’s very swollen. What do I do?
There's not much to do other than keeping her cage very clean so she can keep the toe clean while it heals. It will probably be swollen for a while. If you start to see evidence of other infections (e.g. pus) you might have to intervene, but hopefully she'll recover on her own.

Rabbits can rip toenails on wire any time, but it does tend to happen more when their nails get long, so regular clipping is a good practice.

Latest posts

Back