Possible for a doe to be pregnant before 12 weeks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abeaconunder

Reaction score
I separate kits at 12 weeks. I’ve never had a problem with does getting pregnant too young. However, I pulled this doe out and she looks quite pregnant. She is 13 weeks. Is it even possible? Bucks were pulled at 12 weeks (a week ago).7F6B2249-C34C-4A4A-AD7E-8E2F0F4BFC01.jpeg

If it isn't a very small breed, I would say no. But there is no way to be sure but to wait it out, I rather think there's something else going on. To be visible pregnant she would need to be two weeks or more along, and being fertile at 10-11 weeks would be highly unusual (I never say "impossible" with rabbits). Also second coincidence would have been necessary, a fertile buck.

As I said, I think there's something else going on. Please keep us updated.

If it isn't a very small breed, I would say no. But there is no way to be sure but to wait it out, I rather think there's something else going on. To be visible pregnant she would need to be two weeks or more along, and being fertile at 10-11 weeks would be highly unusual (I never say "impossible" with rabbits). Also second coincidence would have been necessary, a fertile buck.

As I said, I think there's something else going on. Please keep us updated.
This is kind of what I was thinking.

It’s a New Zealand so definitely not a small breed.

I’m just not entirely sure what else could be going on, they are in clean wire cages, clean water, same feed, same hay, etc. her other sibling that is with her, is definitely chunky but doesn’t seem to be as engorged as she is. Both are active, eating, drinking, and everything else looks normal.

Guess I’ll just keep an eye on her, I did give a nest box just to be safe. I’ll definitely keep updated! Thanks!

Back