Possible E. cuniculi, maybe cataracts, need help! Orphan bottle babies.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainViewRabbitry

Washington Rabbit Rescue
Reaction score
Hello! I’m aware this is not really a forum for rabbit rescuers but I could find anywhere else. I’ve used this forum before for other rabbit things and people knew a lot. I rescued 4 (2 boy) (2 girls) ~3 week old rabbits at the time. They are new ~4 weeks. One of them( Lola) see photos is parti blind. Also acts a little weird. We are concerned it’s EC. Is there a way to test for it at home? What age can they have fenbendazole? (Panacure) what’s the dose? im thinking everyone should be treated including my personal rabbit. Lola has had these cataracts things with her eyes since she opened her eyes. I have everyone’s weights from the past 4 days if that’s helpful. They are still on formula, KMR kitten for with goat milk, heavy whipping cream and warm water. Also does ~4 weeks seem right? Any ideas on breed? Probably mixes. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpeg
    IMG_4278.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4277.jpeg
    IMG_4277.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4135.jpeg
    IMG_4135.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
I've given a drop of panacure to two week old kits in the past successfully for 10 days (increasing the number of drops as the kits grew).

if you want to know for sure what it is you'll need to go to a vet, but if you want to avoid that expense... then you can proactively treat and cross your fingers you have it right. :)

if they are more than 17 days old you can get away with less milk and more hay/grass. They look big enough.... at least three weeks, I would not bother with giving them milk. They'll be a bit thin, but less risk of aspiration, and they'll do just fine with hay/grasses, oats and pellets.

I've given a drop of panacure to two week old kits in the past successfully for 10 days (increasing the number of drops as the kits grew).

if you want to know for sure what it is you'll need to go to a vet, but if you want to avoid that expense... then you can proactively treat and cross your fingers you have it right. :)

if they are more than 17 days old you can get away with less milk and more hay/grass. They look big enough.... at least three weeks, I would not bother with giving them milk. They'll be a bit thin, but less risk of aspiration, and they'll do just fine with hay/grasses, oats and pellets.
How old do they look? They are atleast 4 weeks. Probably more of 4.5+. Here are the current weights. (These are not meat breed rabbits). I also have the days eyes opened. One of them has weaned itself already?? the weights are in grams (g)
Thumper 328
Lola 313
Peter 332
Officer Judy hops 413

Attachments

• IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
How old do they look? They are atleast 4 weeks. Probably more of 4.5+. Here are the current weights. (These are not meat breed rabbits). I also have the days eyes opened. One of them has weaned itself already?? the weights are in grams (g)
Thumper 328
Lola 313
Peter 332
Officer Judy hops 413
rabbits open their eyes at about 10 days, so why not calculate from there?

We have. But something seems off… one opened It’s eyes Labor Day, the others about 2 days later. Now the age would be 4.5 weeks… but one has weaned its self completely! Very odd.
I'm confused by what you mean by self weaned

Do you mean they started eating solid/normal food and not what you were giving them? Because that sounds pretty normal

I'm confused by what you mean by self weaned

Do you mean they started eating solid/normal food and not what you were giving them? Because that sounds pretty normal
They should still be wanting syringe fed milk. From what I know, but may be wrong. They get KMR, with goat milk and heavy whipping cream. They do not have a mom that can nurse them :(. I run a rescue that’s how I got these ones. And yes they are eating solids, have been for about 2 weeks. They are 5 weeks today.

Yes, 4.5 weeks is very normal for them to be eating solid food. In an emergency orphaned rabbits will often be able to make it on solid food alone as early as 3 weeks, but supplementing with formula is probably better.
They should still be wanting syringe fed milk. From what I know, but may be wrong. They get KMR, with goat milk and heavy whipping cream. They do not have a mom that can nurse them :(. I run a rescue that’s how I got these ones. And yes they are eating solids, have been for about 2 weeks. They are 5 weeks today.

Keep an eye on the muscles either side of his lower spine, if they're thinner he needs the nutrients he's not getting from the milk. If he won't take milk but still eating solids and drinking water, I suggest immediately start feeding him as many high fat high protein treats as he is willing to eat, until he fills out, and look at the vet's or livestock stores for vitamin supplements

Back